Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

My computer is getting hiccups

Somebody please help. I am running Windows XP SP1 and my computer kinds of gets still for half a second every 4-6 seconds. So whenever I am typing it misses a character or two every 4-6 seconds. When I am moving my mouse it gets stuck at a position for a second and then gets back to normal. This keeps on repeating.
Any directions would be appreciated.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer is getting hiccups
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer is getting hiccups
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Response

In reply to: My computer is getting hiccups

Guessing here, but perhaps the directional ball on your mouse is dirty.

Collapse -
Things to try

In reply to: My computer is getting hiccups

Cleaning;

With the computer switched off, turn your keyboard upside down and shake it gently. You'd be surprised how much dust, crumbs can collect. Then clean the keys with a slightly damp cleaning cloth. Not wet, just slightly damp. Remove the mouse ball, and clean it, and clean the contacts inside the ball housing with white spirit or other alcohol based cleaner. Clean the pads on the underside of the mouse where it touches the mouse mat. Clean the mouse mat.

Viruses and other malware;

Do an online scan for viruses at http://housecall.trendmicro.com, and set the scan to delete all viruses.

What anti-virus, anti-spyware, and anti-adware do you use? Have you updated their definitions recently and scanned your computer with them?

Do you have a firewall? If so, check its log for regular attempts to "phone home" by spyware.If you do not have a firewall, get one now.There are many good, free ones available.

Remote Users;

Right click the "My Computer" icon on your desktop. Click the "Remote" tab, and make sure that there is no tick in the "Allow users to connect remotely to this computer" option. If there is a tick, remove it, click "Apply" then "OK".

Event viewer;

Goto Start > Run, type in eventvwr.msc and click OK. Under Application and System look for regular entries every few seconds. Don't worry that there will be a large number of entries in these logs. You are looking for a regular event every few seconds. To check further, right click an event, and select "Properties" for more information.

I hope this helps.

Mark
Collapse -
Erratum

In reply to: Things to try

The web site for Trend Micro is

http://housecall.trendmicro.com

In addition to my suggestions above, check your System Tray, (the area where your clock is), for any programs running in the background that are communicating on the internet, eg Instant Messengers, Quicktime, RealPlayer, etc, and disable them from start-up.

Mark

Collapse -
This didn't help

In reply to: Erratum

Thanks Mark for taking out so much time to write. I really appreciate that.
Actually I am using a laptop so there is no question of me cleaning the mouse ball. Also the problem isn't with keyboard either cause the problem occurs with both the keyboard and mouse. Yesterday I did a system restore and for the moment atleast my laptop is behaving fine. But I know it will trouble me again sometime later. There is no spyware as well since I recently installed Windows. Event viewer doesn't reveal anything happening every 4-6 seconds. Thanks.

Collapse -
Hi again

In reply to: This didn't help

The fact that System Restore has (apparently) cured the problem leads me to think that you did have something nasty on there.

Can I ask, why did you do a System Restore? What I mean is, had you loaded some program or other recently which System Restore has now removed?

If so, then perhaps it was that program that was causing the freeze-ups

I still think you need a suite of anti-malware protection. Spyware isn't the only problem you have to think of. You need anti-virus and anti-adware protection as well, "and" a firewall, and anti-spyware applications do not usually do well against viruses or adware.

But, I'm pleased you got your problem solved.

Good luck

Mark

Collapse -
Probl's back

In reply to: Hi again

see as I predcted it came back again. Look at myletters am missing tters in between. That isbecause m computer stills for a second beforet resums again nd it oks like its aninfinite loop. Doesn't want to stop. Sorry for the spelling mistakes but thmight help y understand wat the problem is. I don't eally think it's an issue spyware or malwae but if you say so which programould I use? Actually ths is now drivingme nuts. Pleas elp
Thank you soooo much

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

DEALS, DEALS, DEALS!

Best Black Friday Deals

CNET editors are busy culling the list and highlighting what we think are the best deals out there this holiday season.