Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

'my computer' in XP

When I click the 'my computer' icon in windows xp it takes a while to load, upwards of 20 seconds to display my hdds etc. I made some changes to services.msc last week in an attempt to speed up my machine, any thoughts on something I may have disabled which would result in this?

Thanks,

John

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 'my computer' in XP
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 'my computer' in XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
" My Computer"

In reply to: 'my computer' in XP

Hi. This could be at least one of at least 3 things. How much RAM has your computer got, what speed is the processor, and how much free space have u got left ? ( Run Disk Defragmenter to find out.) Your computer must have at least 30% free space to work efficiently. Less than 30% means that your computer will slow down quite a lot. Your computer should have at least 512MB of RAM to run Windows XP, or ideally 768MB or more if you`re on the Internet. Your computer may be running hot or overheating, so check inside the case for excess dust. ( Make sure your computer is switched off at the wall first though. ) An old toothbrush is the safest way to clean out excess dust from inside the case.

Collapse -
It's probably a service...

In reply to: " My Computer"

This behavior started last week after is disabled some services. Its a new install of xp, 2.8ghz dual processors, 2gb or ram. no need to defrag. Case is clean.

This is only affecting 'my computer' any other icon loads quickly, my documents, control panel etc.

Thanks,

John

Collapse -
Whilst I tend to agree....

In reply to: It's probably a service...

more often than not disabling a service is going to end up in something not working at all, or the system not working, rather than a slow down.

Perhaps changing a service to Manual may be the cause. Can you remember what services you changed?

The only service I can think of at the moment that would cause a drop in performance is setting Indexing Service to on, (either automatic or manual). But turning it off should improve access speed.

If no-one else comes up with any ideas I think this may end up in an item by item testing of the disabled services, to see which one did it.

Mark

Collapse -
solution found

In reply to: Whilst I tend to agree....

I'm not sure the services I turned off, but I used this list of services that should be running and set to automatic, restarted and the problem was solved.

Thanks, for your help. John

Automatic - The following is a list of Services that should always be set to automatic:

Automatic Application Layer Gateway Service - (Required by the Windows XP Firewall)
Automatic Automatic Updates - (Required by Windows Updates)
Automatic Background Intelligent Transfer Service - (Required by Windows Updates)
Automatic COM+ Event System - (Required by BootVis and other applications)
Automatic Cryptographic Services - (Required to confirm the signature of Windows system files, protected root services and key services)
Automatic DCOM Server Process Launcher - (Required by the Disk Defragmenter)
Automatic DHCP Client - (Required for Cable/DSL connections and routers)
Automatic DNS Client - (Improves internet performance)
Automatic Event Log - (Required by Windows and cannot be stopped)
Automatic Logical Disk Manager - (Required to manage and update your harddrives)
Automatic Network Connections - (Required by network connections)
Automatic Plug and Play - (Required by your system hardware, Never Disable This!)
Automatic Print Spooler - (Required by printers)
Automatic Protected Storage - (Required to protected sensitive data and to prevent access by unauthorized services, processes, or users.)
Automatic Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)
Automatic Security Accounts Manager - (Required to store security information for local user accounts)
Automatic Security Center - (Notifies you of you Firewall and AntiVirus status)
Automatic Shell Hardware Detection - (Required by the AutoPlay feature)
Automatic System Event Notification - (Required by various applications)
Automatic System Restore Service - (Required by the System Restore feature)
Automatic Task Scheduler - (Required by the Windows Prefetcher, BootVis and Norton AV, Never Disable This!)
Automatic Themes - (Required by the new look of Windows XP)
Automatic Windows Audio - (Required for sound)
Automatic Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) - (Required by the Windows XP Firewall)
Automatic Windows Management Instrumentation - (Required by Windows, Never Disable This!)

From this site:
http://home.comcast.net/~SupportCD/OptimizeXP.html

Collapse -
(NT) Good, glad you got it sorted.

In reply to: solution found

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.