Computer Help forum

General discussion

My Computer Fan is not working. Need your Help!

by Computer_Blue88 / January 27, 2005 4:29 AM PST

My Computer Fan is not working. There are two fan's inside my Computer, and the large one is not working, but the small fan is. With the large fan not working at all, this is causing my computer to over-heat then randomly turning off.

I thought i had fixed this problem eariler by cleaning out a large amount of dust clogg around the fan's, and cleaning the fan blade's themselves. All seemed well, until i was running the Computer, and it just suddenly turned off like it did before. I had felt the back of the computer, and it felt very hot along with the side panel's on the Computer feeling warm also.

I was about ready to start pulling my hair out, and go berserk when this had happened, because this has been going on for a longgg time, and i thought i had finally fixed it, but i guess not..

Well at least i know that the large fan is not working, which is the source of this problem. So is there any way that i can fix the fan to get it running like it should, by myself? I was also wondering that if i was to take to a Computer Repair store, how much would the price be the average price for them to fix it?

Or what would the average price be for a new replacement fan?

Also, could the fan be just flat out broke? ETC. What's your opinion on that?

I would really like to have advice though on how i could get the fan working again by myself maunually. I'd appreciate your help and concern. Thank's.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Computer Fan is not working. Need your Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Computer Fan is not working. Need your Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Simply buy and install a new fan.
by Ray Harinec / January 27, 2005 5:17 AM PST

The fans do wear out. Especially those using sleeve bearings. Be sure to buy ones with ball bearings. Don't waste any time pondering, simply replace it.

Fans could range from $5 to $12.

Collapse -
I agree BUT...
by awildey / January 28, 2005 1:03 AM PST

I am a big fan of having high quality fans in my computer. My CPU is at 25 C at idle, because I went and bought the best case and fans I could. I agee that buying a new fan is the thing to do, but if your computer is having lots of problems due to 1 fan going out, then I think there is something else wrong. Check the fan on your CPU, is it dirty? Does you power supply have 1 or 2 fans, and are they working? I would check everything and blow out all the dust you can.

Collapse -
25 C at idle?
by Steven Haninger / January 28, 2005 7:04 AM PST
In reply to: I agree BUT...

Congrats on a cool system but 25C is 77f which is too close to ambiant (room) to be accurate. Are you sure you don't mean case or MB temperature? I suspect you have a problem with the temperature sensing device or circuitry.

Collapse -
I agree !
by dave-export / January 28, 2005 7:28 PM PST
In reply to: 25 C at idle?

My CPU is about 40 C and the System 35 C.

Collapse -
If it's the fan on the CPU's HSF
by Ray Harinec / January 28, 2005 11:31 PM PST
In reply to: I agree BUT...

it won't get too much help from the other fan(s) found on typical computers.

At 25 C one would guess that you can hear your fans rather easily.LOL

Collapse -
next time consider this...
by Brett Cherrington / January 28, 2005 9:48 PM PST

I agree that you should replace the fan because you state that this problem "has been going on for a longgg time".

next time consider this...

I have a 3-fan hard drive cooler that had one fan start making noise (a sign of trouble) and I didn't want to replace the whole unit for 1 problematic fan so I did a search and found this helpful article:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-5034842.html

It worked for me.

Brett

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!