Computer Help forum

General discussion

My computer can't do a simple restart!

by jsk210 / June 14, 2009 8:45 PM PDT

Hi, everyone. I've frequented this site for computer answers for years, but this is the first time I have ever made a post. Here's my deal- my computer runs just fine, no crashes or anything like that. It shuts down fine, and turns on fine... but when I try to simply "reboot" it, it just stays at the Intel screen. The fans are running and it looks like it should move on to that "Windows XP loading screen" next... but alas, it remains at the Intel screen. I've ran scans using both Malwarebyte's Anti-malware and AVG free edition. Both have told me that I'm free of any viruses or anything like that.

I know this isn't a "crucial" issue, but it really bothers me. I like my machine to run at tip-top condition at all times. Would any of you savvy computer people have any advice for me? This only started happening about an hour ago and so far my solution has just been to hit the power button to turn it off, then hit it again to turn it right back on... but like I said, I want the machine to run optimally.

This is a fairly new computer and has never given me a single issue before, so I don't know what the deal is. I'd truly appreciate it if anyone here could help me out. Thanks in advance, everyone... I hope to hear from some of you soon.

If this helps at all, I'm running an Intel Core 2 duo CPU... Oh man, I'm just hoping and praying that someone out there can help me. Thank you all again.

-S

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer can't do a simple restart!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer can't do a simple restart!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try simple.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2009 9:01 PM PDT

-> Unplug USB things. All that you can and retry.

Collapse -
Still not working!
by jsk210 / June 14, 2009 9:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Try simple.

Okay I just tried that, and it didn't make a difference. One more thing to note is that when I do the restart and it freezes at the Intel screen, I don't get the little text there that says "Press w/e to enter BIOS." But when I do the manual restart there is text that says I can press a button to enter BIOS.

I have no idea what that means... but maybe someone out there does.

Collapse -
No make or model so
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2009 9:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Still not working!
Collapse -
Start up issue
by Phil Crase / June 14, 2009 11:11 PM PDT

Go to msconfig and see how your startup is configured, that may be the issue, would be the first thing to look at. Go to RUN, type msconfig, press enter, look at settings.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

Turn up the volume with our Apple Byte sweeps!

Two lucky winners will take home the coveted smart speaker that lets Siri help you around your connected house. This sweepstake ends Feb. 25, 2018.