Computer Help forum

General discussion

My computer boots up really slow.

by yeahitzdat / January 4, 2007 1:46 PM PST

When I boot up my computer it won't load any programs until it makes the Windows XP loading sound.(The sound that plays when you log into Windows XP) After it plays the notice everything runs fine, but it takes a few mintues before it will play the sound and load and sometimes it will freeze and lock up randomly and I have to restart my computer manuel by pushing the power button. And also my computer won't recognize my external DVD Burner, but all my other USB cords work. Thank you in advance for your feedback and help.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My computer boots up really slow.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My computer boots up really slow.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
reply to: My computer....
by caktus / January 5, 2007 4:39 AM PST

Have you run anti-virus/spyware/adware scans? If you ran these and found/fixed problems before the restore, then the problem may have been restored as well. If this is the case, then you may need to run the scans and fix the problem again and then delete the restore points.

Hope this is helpful.

Charlie

Collapse -
Just incase you are not familiar with removal tools...
by ~Brandy~ pccatastrophe / January 5, 2007 6:31 AM PST

You can download virus/adaware/spyware removal tools for free.
Spybot Search & Destroy (make sure it says that exactly as there are a lot of look alikes)
Ad-Aware SE Personal
AVG Antivirus software

Collapse -
External DVD Driver
by ~Brandy~ pccatastrophe / January 5, 2007 6:19 AM PST

The manufacturer of your burner probably offers updates and drivers for your burner. Go to your manufacturer's website and download the needed driver. I would advice fixing your computer's problems prior to doing so, as you never know what kind of problems you may run into during clean-up.

Collapse -
Thank you!
by yeahitzdat / January 5, 2007 11:46 PM PST
In reply to: External DVD Driver

Thank you all for your help. I just installed an anti-virus program and ran it and it found nothing but when i rebooted my computer it ran normally. Thank you all again and my burner is working fine again too.

Collapse -
Norton
by HarryL22 / January 6, 2007 8:07 PM PST

Have you got Norton Anti Virus , Run some scans or Update your BIOS , or Use Spyware Doctor

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?