General discussion

My computer and Windows XP

I am having real problems with this computer. It is so darn slow. Getting my personal settings sometimes just locks up and I have to reboot. Almost every time I turn on this system, it wants to scandisk. When shutting down, it may take up to five minutes to do it. Something is very, very wrong. I have deleted so many of my favourites programs thinking this would make the system faster, but it is worst now. Any suggestions. I have 256 mb and probably need more memory, but I think it is more than that. Please help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: My computer and Windows XP
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My computer and Windows XP
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Is the Forum Tip showing?

It reads " If you are asking for help to troubleshoot a computer-related problem, please be sure to include all the necessary information (ie: operating system, model number, hardware, software, etc) that will help others identify your problem for a speedy resolution. "

You did give one clue and that was about SCANDISK. That's usually on a system where the owner has selected to stick with the old FAT32 file system. But that's the only clue in your post about your system

Not a word about antivirus measures and what you do to detect, remove and keep SPYWARE off the system.

Bob

- Collapse -
R. Proffitt

I do apologize to you for not supplying you with more information about my system. I have Microsoft Windows XP Professional, version 2002, Service Pack 2. Computer is an AMD Duron 1.10 ghz with 224 mb of ram.
I have Microsoft Office 2003 Student and Teacher edition installed. I have a floppy disk, a cd player and a cd burner. I have AVG free edition, also Zone Alarm free edition. I have Spybot search and destroy and Ad-aware (both free editions) installed. What else do you need to know? I will gladly supply to you whatever information you need to help me out here. Thank you Mr. Proffitt.

- Collapse -
That's helpful.

With that AMD Duron the usual is that whoever installed the OS may forget to find and install the latest Motherboard Drivers. If this was my machine I'd...

1. Find and install the latest motherboard drivers.
Hint: No Microsoft pushbutton does this!

2. Toggle the DMA to PIO and back to DMA as noted in this article -> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/device/storage/IDE-DMA.mspx

After that, I'd take some time to digest if BLACK VIPER at http://www.blackviper.com/Articles/OS/OSguides.htm You'll want to look at the Services page on XP Pro.

Bob

- Collapse -
R. Proffitt

Thanks very much Mr. Proffitt

CNET Forums

Forum Info