Question

My compaq presario F756NR will not start.

Laptop working fine yesterday, was not dropped or any power surge, etc. Clicked to restart after a Norton update. Would not restart. When press start/power button, the following light up for less than 1 second:

-- the power button,
--a small square on upper left of touchpad and
--two lights on lower left corner of bottom part of laptop.

If hold down power button, these lights will continue to briefly light up and go out, accompanied by a small click from the speaker.

Have removed battery, and put back in, battery was fine yesterday. Have tried it with no battery and AC power source. AC power source fine. Any ideas would be welcome.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: My compaq presario F756NR will not start.
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: My compaq presario F756NR will not start.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Answer
Try the generic reset and

Generic reset is remove AC, remove battery, press and hold power button for 60 seconds, release, slip in battery, apply AC and try again.

Also, if there are any USB things, unplug those.
Bob

- Collapse -
Thanks--unfortunately, it did not work!

Thanks. Tried it twice to make sure. It still just acts the same--press the power button and it will light up (along with the other above mentioned lights), the speaker clicks and the lights go out in less than 1 second. If I hold the power button down, it will simply repeat the lights/speaker click about every 2 seconds.

Appreciate any other thoughts.

- Collapse -
That sounds like it belongs in here
- Collapse -
Thank you. Looks like you are right.

Thanks. Looked briefly at the thread and it describes my problem. Will try some of the fixes. At least my Compaq lasted about 5 years! Whether I fix it or not, I see a new laptop in my immediate future. Appreciate your help.

CNET Forums