Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

my cd/dvd drive is missing

by unicornlover37 / December 24, 2008 6:05 AM PST

i need help with my cd/dvd drive on windows xp, ive tried everything on HP's website on how to uninstall/reinstall, delete filters, etc. nothing has worked. help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: my cd/dvd drive is missing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: my cd/dvd drive is missing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just fixed one like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 24, 2008 7:11 AM PST

It turned out the drive had failed. It didn't show up in the BIOS so Windows couldn't find it either. A new cable and drive and it's working again.

Collapse -
This forum is here to help
by gardener60 / December 25, 2008 11:08 PM PST

I appreciate that you have sorted your problem but it hardly helps the chap who posted the original does it?Lets be a little more constructive shall we.

Collapse -
A more constructive variant then.
by Kees Bakker / December 25, 2008 11:16 PM PST

We don't know exactly what is missing where. Maybe somebody took a screwdriver and took it with him?

But a usual remedy for CD-drives missing in Device Manager and the BIOS is to replace them.

Kees

Collapse -
Just sharing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 25, 2008 11:29 PM PST

The poster admitted to "trying everything." My sharing is about what we do next. Many people need an idea that the drive needs to show in the BIOS for Windows to pick up the drive.

While I see your point, here's mine. How about sharing how you fixed yours?
Bob

Collapse -
HP software
by gardener60 / December 26, 2008 6:46 PM PST
In reply to: Just sharing.

I had the problem of missing devices in device manager and reinstallation of the software enabled windows to pick them up again on the next reboot.HP software is notoriously complex and if steps are not taken in the right order the installation fails.

Collapse -
cd/dvd drive
by unicornlover37 / December 27, 2008 12:27 AM PST

i appreciate anyones suggestions about my drive missing and when i said i tried everything, it meant everything, reintalling the drive, or trying too, hp website gave me a complete list of things to do in order and i followed it to the T, anyway, i believe i have to get a new drive for the computer, but is it worth it? hopefully its the only thing thats wrong seeing that i can't find the drive and when it does reappear it has no exclamation point or question mark next to it. I believe this is corruption, but i'm am NO computer geek, i'm a mother of 4 just trying to fix it without spending money :)Thanks for you comments!

Collapse -
You still didn't say where you can't find the drive.
by Kees Bakker / December 27, 2008 12:38 AM PST
In reply to: cd/dvd drive

- In the BIOS?
- In Device Manager?
- In My computer?
That makes it difficult to comment.

All you say in the post above that (sometimes?) it reappears in Device Manager without exclamation point or question mark. Please tell more if you want effective help. A link to the HP page with the things you did, would be helpful also.

Kees

Collapse -
drive
by unicornlover37 / December 27, 2008 3:27 AM PST

i went in bios, device manager, my computer, everywhere, sometimes it would appear and then i would try to perform an action and it would disappear. Sorry about not havin enough info for you.

Collapse -
You say you did everything (short of a new drive.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 2:10 AM PST
In reply to: cd/dvd drive

Did you ever edit the registry to remove filters? I took your word you did that.

Collapse -
registry filters
by unicornlover37 / December 27, 2008 3:31 AM PST

yes, my word is good, i did try that but they werent there, i had never deleted them before so i didnt know why they werent there, i had been told this would have solved my problem, thank you

Collapse -
And by everything. The old SAFE MODE
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 4:26 AM PST
In reply to: registry filters

Safe mode, device manager, remove all the CD/DVD drives, OK your way out and reboot?

Collapse -
safe mode
by unicornlover37 / December 27, 2008 6:05 AM PST

i rebooted in safe mode if thats what you meant or do you mean to delete all those drives and then reboot or to delete all those drives and then reboot in safe mode,

Collapse -
And the last boot is....
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 27, 2008 6:09 AM PST
In reply to: safe mode

Normal so XP can search for and add in the drives we removed automagically. If that didn't do it then we did cover all the usuals.

The only item left is the machine's make, model, what the BIOS reports, what drives are connected to what ports, the jumper settings (in other words all the things a tech would check before popping in a new drive.)
Bob

Collapse -
boot
by unicornlover37 / December 28, 2008 12:44 AM PST

thanks for your input i appreciate your help

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!