Cameras forum

Resolved Question

My Cannon Rebel XTi takes a photo too quickly

by brickguy / October 12, 2011 4:39 AM PDT

I recently purchased a Canon XTi used. I don't know if the camera is working properly or not. I understand that the auto focus happens when the shutter button is depressed half way. Then the shutter is to release upon depressing the button the complete way. My camera seems to focus and then take the photo immediately after that. I am not given an opportunity to hold the focus, compose and then release the button in full before the photo is taken. Do you have any ideas for me?

brickguy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Cannon Rebel XTi takes a photo too quickly
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Cannon Rebel XTi takes a photo too quickly
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by brickguy

Collapse -
Canon XTi/400D
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 12, 2011 1:36 PM PDT

I suspect that you just need a little practice.
But first just to be sure that you have not inadvertently set some option that is causing a problem, you should reset the camera to factory settings.

See page 100 of your camera manual to see how to reset the camera.

Now put the camera in Auto mode.
Place your hand on the camera is such a way that your four-finger is resting on the camera and use just the tip of your finger to press the shutter button.
Gently press the button half-way down.

To help, I suggest you look through the viewfinder and when the button is half-way down, the exposure settings under the image in the viewfinder will appear. That shows the settings the camera is going to use to take the picture.
Then while holding the button half-way down and still looking through the viewfinder, reframe your shot and press the button the rest of the way down.

The experienced photographer does this naturally just to see what settings the camera has chosen.
If he/she does not like the camera's choice, they can then switch to a manual setting and set the exposure to fit the situation.

Collapse -
by brickguy / October 13, 2011 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Canon XTi/400D

Thanks Snapshot2. I have completed this and it does not appear to have made a difference. I am very gentle with the shutter release. There is some travel to get to the half way point where it focuses. Once focused, it then takes the photo and I don't feel like I have let the button travel any more at all.

Collapse -
Canon XTi/400D
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / October 13, 2011 12:31 PM PDT

I suggest you take your camera to a local camera store.
Not a department store but a store that only sells cameras and supplies.
Most of these stores have a place where they send cameras for repair.
First let them see the problem and verify that the camera is defective.

If they verify that the camera is truly defective you have a choice of letting them fix the camera or you can return home and call Canon Service and ask them for a quote for repair.

Collapse -
by brickguy / October 13, 2011 11:09 PM PDT
In reply to: Canon XTi/400D

Very well. Thank you, Snapshot2. You have been very helpful.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.