Windows Legacy OS forum

Question

My C:\Windows folder appears empty, but cannot be.

by ed456456 / September 21, 2012 6:09 AM PDT

It says "0 objects" in My Computer. I have all the "view" options set correctly (display system folders, folder is not hidden). A warning message I used to get on opening the folder no longer appears either. I am the administrator. Help?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My C:\Windows folder appears empty, but cannot be.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My C:\Windows folder appears empty, but cannot be.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Actually that's proper.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 6:22 AM PDT

Because folk had a tendency to destroy their installed OS, the first time you look it does that.

As to your comment about the Admin, that's not a "God" account. Admin accounts must obey permissions and more.

Try a new admin account and take care in what you do to answer those prompts.
Bob

Collapse -
Tried it
by ed456456 / September 21, 2012 8:35 AM PDT

Thanks for the tip, but it didn't work.

That warning message used to come on every time; when I acknowledged, then it would display the contents. Now it doesn't come up and all I see is the empty folder.

The new account had the same result. The only prompt or option I had was to make it an admin or a limited user.

Other ideas?

Collapse -
Just a little discussion to read.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 21, 2012 9:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Tried it
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/137921-45-administrator-folders-files-user-account covers all the articles about permissions and more. This also applies to the Windows folder.

But before we go dabbling with that, be sure there is no root kit infection. A few weeks ago I encountered a very nasty "ZeroAccess" infection and sadly, because they didn't have the Windows media I could not remove it. They decided to get a new PC over that one.

Grif's advice at http://forums.cnet.com/7726-6132_102-5098912.html?tag=posts;msg5099421 helped as the root kit was spotted in seconds with RKILL.

Also, you can always go old fashioned with the command line and DIR C:\WINDOWS /A
Bob
Collapse -
It's fixed!
by ed456456 / September 23, 2012 4:40 AM PDT

First I tried the CMD prompt. Same error; it said the directory was empty.

Next I tried the infection cleaners suggested in your link. Side benefits: I now have free and great anti-walware and anti spyware software, plus they both found a few things and removed them. But the problem was still there.

Next I tried the ownership and permissions thing. Side benefit: I now know a lot more about how to manage ownership and permissions than I used to. But I also found that I already had all the ownership and permissions. Still no fix.

On a whim, as I was poking around dealing with the permissions, I found in the C: drive folder properties a Tools tab that included the Check Disk tool. I'd already long before done a "run chkdsk" but this one was apparently more thorough. Long story short, after I used this tool with all the options turned on, my problem was gone!

Bob, thanks so much for your time and assistance. I hope this thread can help someone else if they have these symptoms.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.