Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing

by goofup / March 27, 2004 6:45 PM PST

Processor: Pentium 2 266 MHz(ancient)
RAM: 64 MB
HDD: 3.92 GB

Hello everyone,

In addition to all my other problems with Windows, I've got a new one. I have 3 partitions on my PC. I've got the system files and MS Office on the C:\ drive, but I don't use it for anything else. But whenever I install something on one of the other drives, the space in my C:\ drive gets reduced. The last time I checked I had only 8.79 MB left.

Is there something I can do to regain space without uninstalling anything or repartitioning my hard disk?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
by Cursorcowboy / March 27, 2004 8:55 PM PST

1. "How to Change the Default Location of Mail and News Folders (Q175037)."

2. "How to Change the Location of the Windows Address Book (Q156828)."

3. "How to Change the Location of Temporary Internet Files (Q172949)", what I call the TIF.

4. "How to Change the Download Location for ActiveX Files (Q175319) - the Downloaded Programs Files Folder."

5. How to move the My Documents folder:

a. Start TweakUI v1.33 (click and download if wanted) by clicking Start, Control Panel, TweakUI.

Note: Depending on version the TweakUI version, click the General tab and find the section Special Folders, or perhaps the My Computer tab.

b. Click the down arrow at the Folders: window and highlight an item to change location for and then click the button titled, "Change Location" and make the selection wanted.

Collapse -
Re:My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
by Russel_Mac / March 27, 2004 11:25 PM PST

Hi Pal
There are several reasons that cause the "C Drive" to run out of space.
1>When you surf the net,many files are copied on the "temporary Internet folder".Now the "temporary internet folder" is on the C Drive.
2>When you install some software(no matter where you install them),several files are copied onto the "Temp" folder, which is again on the C Drive.
3> Also sometimes a virus causes a disk to run out of space.
So you can recover some space if you run "Disk Cleanup" for the above two reasons.But if there is a virus in your system you will again run out of space.

Here is a bold step to your problems.Back up your data and partition and format all your drives and install everything again.
VERY IMPORTANT-- WHEN BACKING UP YOUR DATA, BE CAREFUL NOT TO BACK UP THE VIRUS. OTHERWISE ALL YOUR EFFORTS WILL GO IN VAIN.
FORMATING AND PARTITIONING SHOULD BE YOUR LAST RESORT.
Keep posting of your status.Good Luck.

Collapse -
Re:Re:My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
by goofup / March 28, 2004 5:41 PM PST

Hi again,

The problem is not with the temporary internet files folder, as i don't use IE much - I use Opera which stores its cache files in the drive its installed in.

And even after using Disk Cleanup, there are still many files in my Temp folder. Is it safe to manually delete them?

I don't think it's a virus either because i've already run AVG(updated) and the online scan at trendmicro.com.

I don't want to reformat the drive either.

Thanks for your interest. I'll keep you posted.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:My C:\ Drive space keeps disappearing
by Russel_Mac / March 28, 2004 11:37 PM PST

Hi there
Given the history of your system,I think it would be best to have PC repair person have a thorough look at your system( cannot get complete picture sitting thousands of miles away).This may cost a few bucks, but it will be worth having a smooth running system.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?