Speakeasy forum

General discussion

My bride's in the hospital.

by Paul C / June 21, 2009 2:37 AM PDT

This morning, while getting ready for church, the Lady Samia complained of pain that ran from her chest to her back. I told her to get ready to go to the hospital; she, as I expected, refused. I told her that she WAS going, period.

While I was debating what gun I was going to use to make her go, she relented. If you ever want to see people snap to attention, just walk into an emergency room and use the words, "chest pain." She was immediately placed in an exam room with an EKG/pulse rate hookup, a bunch of baby aspirin to chew up and swallow, and had blood drawn for tests - all before I was handed the insurance forms. Wink

The EKG and the blood work looks OK, but the attending doctor announced that she will spend the night and undergo additional tests, including a stress test, in the morning.

I'll keep you all posted as more info becomes available. Now, I'm back to the hospital as soon as she's in her room; it seems that she'll go mad without her sudoku books... Devil

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My bride's in the hospital.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My bride's in the hospital.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Does the book
by Angeline Booher / June 21, 2009 4:31 AM PDT

..... have puzzles to solve without using a computer or being on line? I really know nothing about sudoku except that it is on line puzzle solving.

I'm sure you know that she has put on her "I am the wife and mother of this family" face, so expected to take care of everybody else other tan herself (she thinks).

But she's got you to put that aside, take charge, and be there for her.

Added to my prayer list!

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator

Collapse -
Re: sudoku's
by Kees Bakker / June 21, 2009 4:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Does the book

Sorry, Angeline, sudoku's can very well be made on paper. Here in the Netherlands, practically every newpaper has one everyday. Sometimes I solve one in the train from work to back to home.

Let me give you a VERY basic example. Just to give you an idea. In reality, they are more complex, of course.

We have a 2-by-2 square (I assume this isn't too much math for you), like this:

1 x

Now fill in the x-es, in such a way that every line AND every column contains the numbers 1 and 2. There is only one solution.

You'll see an example of the common 3x3-variant in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sudoku, on the top right. Every row, every column and every of 9 squares must contain the digits 1 through 9. I don't know if this is an easy one or a difficult one, but I can tell you how to find 3 of the missing numbers.
Look at the middle column. It doesn't yet have a 4. You can't put it in the empty cell in the lower square, because that SQUARE already has a 4. And you can't put it in the empty cell in the middle square, because that ROW already has a 4. So you must put it in the empty cell in the top square.
That leaves 3 and 5 to put in the 2 other empty cells. It's easy to see the 3 must come in the lower square (otherwise there would be 2 3's in the middle square), leaving he cell in the middle square with a 5.

All you need to solve this on paper is a ballpoint (or a pencil and a gum) and a clever mind.

Kees

Collapse -
Sudoku
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / June 21, 2009 6:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: sudoku's

You forgot to say that Sudoku is very addictive.

Most books have them in categories such as Easy, Medium, Hard, Challenger.
After many years of working them, I now skip the Easy and Medium puzzles (too simple) and start with the Hard ones.

A fantastic time burner.
Should be great for Hospital.

Collapse -
Glad you reacted so quickly, Paul
by Josh K / June 21, 2009 5:05 AM PDT

You may well have saved her life. Please keep us posted!

Collapse -
Let's not go THAT far, Josh.
by Paul C / June 21, 2009 9:13 AM PDT

I just got back, and so far they've not seen anything unusual in the continuous EKG monitoring. However, I DO know that cardiac issues present themselves differently for women than they do for men, and that was why I insisted that she go to the ER.

She'll be having a stress treadmill test tomorrow at 8 AM; hopefully, we'll then know if there's something to be concerned about.

Collapse -
(NT) We will keep her in our Prayers
by oldie and goody / June 21, 2009 9:46 AM PDT
Collapse -
I don't know her age or any risk factors or family history
by Ziks511 / June 21, 2009 11:14 AM PDT

but when I worked here as an EMT, chest pain in the absence of any precipitating factor was always a scoop and run, Code 4 (there is no Code 5). As you say, cardiac problems present very differently in women. Some women get heart burn, my mother in law got back pain between her shoulder blades and sometimes in her left arm. She sometimes complained of heaviness in her chest, not the crushing chest pain that is common in men. For all that she lived as a cardiac patient for 24 years, not happily and with diminished mobility as time progressed but she had her first attack at 62 and died at 86

Don't be too quick to dismiss Josh. While he may be a little dramatic in his statement early hospitalization is the best thing possible. The good news is that both imaging and treatment have progressed enormously.

My best wishes to you and your wife and my best hopes for her recovery, actually my best hopes that it's muscle strain.

Good luck, Rob

Collapse -
Yeah, 'Chest Pain' is a magic phrase ...
by Bill Osler / June 21, 2009 11:46 AM PDT

Undiagnosed chest pain is one of the complaints that get immediate attention in the ER. "I think I'm having a stroke" should be another, although some ERs aren't quite up to speed on that yet.

I hope she gets some rest and feels better in the AM

Collapse -
(NT) Hope all goes well for ya'll.
by James Denison / June 21, 2009 7:18 PM PDT
Collapse -
I hope that she is OK, and that good things will
by Desperado JC / June 21, 2009 10:56 PM PDT

result from her hospital stay.

Collapse -
hope it was a false alarm Paul
by jonah jones / June 22, 2009 12:36 AM PDT

and BTW, if Brussel sprouts are the "Devils food", then Sudoku is..........

Happy

Collapse -
All my fingers are crossed (You try typing like that).
by Ziks511 / June 22, 2009 2:57 AM PDT

Update when you can. We're all sending our best wishes.

Rob

Collapse -
Good Luck
by Roger NC / June 22, 2009 7:50 AM PDT

Of course best wishes to both of you.

And something to keep her busy will be good at reducing stress.

However, I think the sudoku books would just frustrate me to the point of boiling my blood. Just give me a few scifi and fanasty books, with maybe a good murder mystery type thrown in for a alternative.

Well different strokes for different folks.

Hope the diagnosis is quick and the news is good.

Roger

Collapse -
(NT) I hope everything goes well.
by FrankQC / June 22, 2009 12:21 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?