Computer Help forum

General discussion

My back wards mouse is killing my index finger

by slomorg / June 3, 2004 2:41 AM PDT

For whatever reason I hold my mouse backwards. I grip the mouse with my thumb and middle finger at the top where the buttons are. My index finger rests upon the left button to most, but the right button to me.

So when I use the mouse left is right and up is down. I have tried to retrain my brain to use it correctly to no avail. It is now becoming an issue because my index finger is always bent and is now starting to ache at the knuckle.

Is ther any way to switch the mouse so that even when I hold it the right way left will still be right and so on. This way I can palm the mouse, my finger won't be bent, and I won't leave my signiture backwards mouse whenever I fix someone elses computer here at work.

Please not that it's not as easy as changing it to the LEFT HANDED option. That only reconfigs the buttons and believe it or not, but I use those correctly. I currently use a wireless mouse at home. The cord was always getting in my way and still does at work. Any suggestions on how to correct this are welcomed.

Also if anyone knows someone else who does this let me know. I think they just might be my soul mate!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My back wards mouse is killing my index finger
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My back wards mouse is killing my index finger
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 3:03 AM PDT

" I currently use a wireless mouse at home."

Use that mouse model elsewhere as well. Most HR will support their staff efforts for a more ergo-friendly workplace.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:I see it.
by slomorg / June 3, 2004 3:17 AM PDT
In reply to: I see it.

Yes, but that still doesn't solve the index finger issue from holding it the wrong way.

Collapse -
I still see it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 3:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:I see it.

Find a mouse made for you. If none are made, then keep shopping.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:I still see it.
by 010101xxxxx / June 3, 2004 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: I still see it.
Collapse -
Re:Re:I still see it.
by slomorg / June 3, 2004 4:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:I still see it.

Note: I use the mouse like you would steer a plane. That is the configuration I am trying to change.

Collapse -
Here's the deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 3, 2004 4:17 AM PDT
In reply to: Re:Re:I still see it.

Mice are made in many shapes and sizes. But you are not happy with any. If you do find one, then get two, one for home and work.

If you just want an internal modification, then (now this will be difficult) finding a competent electronics wizard to rewire buttons or a electromechanical wizard to rotate the insides would be your choice. If they want money, then you dicker and pay.

A notable area is accessibility for the disabled. Many custom items have been crafted, but "you don't want to know" how much such things are.

In closing, you need to just keep shopping.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:My back wards mouse is killing my index finger
by Y4 / June 3, 2004 7:07 AM PDT

You never mentioned anything about your system, but on WindowsXP you can configure your mouse to your liking. Control Panel > Printers and Other Hardware > Mouse. Good luck!

Y4

Collapse -
Re:Re:My back wards mouse is killing my index finger
by slomorg / June 4, 2004 5:28 AM PDT

I still use 98. However, after doing so research I actually found a PRANK program that I think might help me. When installed the program changes the mouses direction for people who use it right side up. For me it will allow my brain to continue working in reverse while holding the mouse comfortablly. I'm very excited about it!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.