HolidayBuyer's Guide

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

My AVG Free Is Geting More Than....

by tobeach / March 20, 2008 4:19 PM PDT

a little pushy!!
Having seen post about problems downloading updates today (20th) I decided to see how mine would do.
I minimized Cnet connected page & brought up the update box. Called for updates which answered instantly and for 2 seconds(no more) showed priority update which I went to click to download.. but don't know if
I actually did or not since there was a bright flash & the screen was taken over by their ad for AVG 8. This behaved just like any rogue malware taking over your screen to say you're infected and such tactics are beneath such a reputable company. It also re-maximized the minimized Cnet page as a pop-under.I have seen this part before but NOT the following parts!
Then a pop-up box asking to ok a cookie from campaign.grisoft labeled as session cookie :expires at end of session. Stupidly ok'd as I would for most security sites. It vanished leaving the ad push.
Eventually got the normal box for download & updated/ok.
Closed off Avg & returned to Cnet page & decided I didn't appreciate tactic and went to my Sea Monkey cookie manager intending to remove the session only permission.
Much to my surprise on the PERMANENT cookies page I found three (3) avg cookies (NOT session only)!! They were NOT there before this update!! Apparently they have hired some salesmen from the Russian Business Network maybe?? Seems like their style! Unacceptable!
I am now blocking AVG from ANY further cookies placement and if have further problems....will dump them from my machine & my recommended list. Sad Sandy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My AVG Free Is Geting More Than....
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My AVG Free Is Geting More Than....
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I saw the same report at their forum re:nag screen
by Donna Buenaventura / March 20, 2008 5:41 PM PDT
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,118806,backpage=2,sv=
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,118885,backpage=2,sv=

The moderator of AVG free forum said:

OK, But from the AVG Technologies viewpoint, as a free user, you must accept that in the end of the day they are in business to make a profit & therefore will always be encouraging some of the over 70 million AVG users to upgrade to the paid for version.
UNQUOTE
http://forum.grisoft.cz/freeforum/read.php?8,118688,backpage=2,sv=
Collapse -
Yes That's True, Donna. That's Why They.....
by tobeach / March 21, 2008 4:13 PM PDT

have the bright square ad button on update screen & should one wish a more comprehensive version you may click it.

What bothers me is the flash full screen take-over of display blocking out the functions. I maybe downloading something but I can't tell if so or what it is. Apparently 3 permanent cookies. Could be worse.

Many posters say they're in business so they want to make a profit! Not a problem.
Best as I can tell, they're doing very, very well although a "little" short on having enough cash to take over Symantec. They certainly aren't suffering, nor would I want them to be.

Considering how many of us "Free" users are acting as their
shills/pitchmen/women to others currently using their competitors
products, I'm surprised I don't have the taxman claiming I should be paying tax on the "free" promotional compensation I receive.LOL! Grin

Collapse -
See also:
by Donna Buenaventura / March 20, 2008 5:58 PM PDT

Grisoft struggle to convert more than 2% of AVG free users to pay for AVG paid edition
http://msmvps.com/blogs/donna/archive/2007/12/06/grisoft-struggle-to-convert-more-than-2-of-avg-free-users-to-pay-for-avg-paid-edition.aspx or http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/security/soa/Grisoft-acquires-Exploit-Prevention-Labs/0,130061744,339284314,00.htm

The above is a news item last December 2007 that they admit AVG "struggles to convert more than two percent to its premium, paid-for antivirus products."
So maybe the trick they thought might help is using that type of campaign.

Collapse -
Hmm
by Bob__B / March 21, 2008 1:27 AM PDT

I wonder if this is selective or maybe random.
I use AVG 7.5 free.
I update daily...manual.
I have never seen such a thing.

Perhaps they checked your bio and found you had CASH.
Now they just want a little.... Happy
Stop pinching it so hard...share Happy

Collapse -
Hi, bob b. I Also Do My Updates Manually( Daily)...
by tobeach / March 21, 2008 4:25 PM PDT
In reply to: Hmm

perhaps it's because I take the chance of taking their "Optional"
updates (basically feeling like an rc tester) so have what others will get soon. These optionals have caused crashes on other computers I know of so those people only take "priority" updates.

Interestingly, this ad push came as the only offered update: "priority".
Again, I'm happy to read about newest version available but object to nearly having a heart attack when my screen it instantly taken over without my request by any site but especially a security site. Happy

Collapse -
Ah! Just got the thing.
by Bob__B / March 22, 2008 10:54 PM PDT

Using FF.
Shows up as a full sized page...sits on top of the update page.
Tells me how great avg 8 is.
If I close the page the update continues.
No cookies place on the machine.

I suppose if I have to look at that every time I update it might get annoying.

AVG does not send me a bill.
If they want to put that ad on my screen daily.....I hope not...but I guess I can handle it.

Collapse -
AVG
by xen-one / March 21, 2008 1:06 PM PDT

Sure we all like to get a few free programs every once and a while, it's only human. However as one replier states they are in business not a charity. Good products come at a cost, it takes time, money and resources to produce good quality software. Given their dues if such programs prove themselves to be of benefit which in the case of AVG is indeed such then it is only fair go to support any ongoing developments .

Myself I used it free for a good part of a year and in that time have found it an invaluable program and is a credit to it's designers. As such I recently registered it. Cannot remember the exact cost but what I do know is that it was peanuts to pay for the function it carries out, and totally on automatic pilot.

Collapse -
AVG
by M. Bernard / March 22, 2008 10:25 PM PDT
In reply to: AVG

I also used the free version for about a year. It gave me no trouble. As the stories of attacks on computers grew I looked at the cost of the Professional version. It was such good value that I upgraded and have never had cause to regret the move.

Collapse -
My AVG Free Is Geting More Than.... <snip>
by Slotmech / March 21, 2008 1:27 PM PDT

This one is simple. AVG Free 8.0 is a time-limited trial; it runs as the paid version until your trial period runs out. Then, it bugs to buy the full version. If you can find a copy of AVG Free 7.5, it doesn't do that, but the features are limited from the start. 7.5 should still be available on the website, but you might have to dig for it.

Collapse -
(NT) Indeed,Slotmech! BUT I' AM Running AVG Free7.5.
by tobeach / March 21, 2008 3:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Interesting, and disturbing.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 21, 2008 8:25 PM PDT

Hi Sandy.

I thought I would test what happened to you and just updated my AVG. I also got a Priority update but it updated with no problems. However, as it finished updating I saw a flash of a window. It may have been AVG's program window appearing then disappearing as this was an update that removed the System Tray icon and re-displayed it, suggesting a program update. But it also may have been an attempt at a popup or pop-under advert. My Firefox browser has Addblock Plus so I suspect ABP prevented the window from gaining a hold. That's disturbing.

I also use AVG 7.5 free version and have liked AVG ever since the early days. However I have heard bad reports about the new AVG 8, (bulky, slow, takes over, etc), and I am reluctant to upgrade, which is a shame because this is just another of the popular products that appear to be getting too big for its own good.

I'm not happy, Sad

Mark

Collapse -
Thanks For That Info, Mark! I'm Using Sea Monkey..
by tobeach / March 22, 2008 4:53 PM PDT

1.1.8 with pop-up blocker set to block un-requested pop-ups which makes me think this came from the mysterious cookies implanted during update rather than thru the browser itself. At first, I thought I'd been phished/re-directed to a rogue site!

Like you, have used AVG AV since dumping Norton quite a while ago (AVG6) despite some config problems with 7.5 for mail scanning which later turned out to actually be a bug that cleared itself with a new build about 1 month later.

It's just that they were such a class act previous to the last year or so with 7.5. 6.0 worked a treat right out of the gate with no problems/issues and nicely refined style.

Never could get an answer from their virus encyclopedia even when copy & pasting programs own description of infector. Can find elsewhere so not really a problem. Of course being free, never did expect more than forum for tech help. Less helpful than this forum to be sure.

In fact, I'm rather proud of the little Checko company that could & did prosper so. Just hate to see such refined style being reduced to hucksterism style. Grin

Collapse -
Just Updated Again & This Time....
by tobeach / March 22, 2008 5:52 PM PDT

was better able to catch what progressed:
It definitely did >>auto-call/launch << a new SM browser window which had the full page ad & brought up the pop-up cookie window. Of course the browser window overlaid all before it. Rather like a temporary browser hijacking. Perhaps one of those permanent cookies was to stop this intrusion from happening each time??
Hmmmm.... Sad

Collapse -
I've got SeaMonkey as well.
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / March 22, 2008 8:18 PM PDT

It is based on the Netscape Navigator 7 browser. I don't know if that is significant.

As a test I closed Firefox, opened SeaMonkey and updated my AVG definitions. I had a Priority update but I saw nothing unusual when I allowed the update. I am not sure what I expected, my default browser is Firefox so any popups or pop-unders would, I expect, have attempted to launch Firefox, but that didn't happen.

I don't know if SeaMonkey handles popups and pop-unders differently to Firefox. I hesitate to suggest Firefox is more sophisticated because I don't know what's under the hood in both browsers.

If you have Firefox yourself I suppose the test is to change the default to Firefox the next time you intend to update AVG and see what happens.

Like you say, it could be some sort of cookie control.

Mark

Collapse -
The more 'Profit' they make, the more 'Pushy' they get.
by Palebushman / March 21, 2008 11:21 PM PDT

Sandy,
The more 'Profit' they make, the more 'Pushy' they get. And you only have to look at the most widely used operating system, and the biggest search engine to see that horrible phenomena. They call it 'keeping shareholders happy' which is fine, providing that those that are being 'Pushed' around don't get fed up and go elsewhere, payware or freeware.
Personally I stopped using 'Payware' Security Suites because of the above reasons, and the horrendous system resources they used to consume.
Since Avast! Home Edition provided the best available 'Freeware' Security Suite out there for me, that's the way I went and have never looked back since. Maybe you should go for a pleasant change Sandy, and give the Avast! way of anti-virus protection a try. I'm sure you will be delighted with their professionalism and courtesy.

Collapse -
No problems
by morrie 52 / March 22, 2008 2:05 AM PDT

It is the first thing to load when starting,and has updated nearly every day,with no pop ups or anything,so I do not no why you should be having problems.

Collapse -
lavasoft spyware killer
by windfire55 / March 22, 2008 9:45 AM PDT
In reply to: No problems

lavasoft spyware remover
(they even have a cute little video saying how good their program is....some guy that is obviously making money from their advertising endorsement
Its another malware..............

Please be advised that though they say this program
is free,you will have to sign up for one of their partner pprogram which is not free and will probably be of little use to you as you can go on line with the other companies and use their sites completely free
(E-bay,Discovery etc) i decided to look into a spyware
remover as I have tried many that just don't do a flippin thing other that create even more problem with in a system as the cookie is hard to rid from a system

Collapse -
is AVG becoming annoyingware?
by Natronx / March 24, 2008 9:35 AM PDT

I have the same problem with AVG 7.5. It opens my Firefox browser to an AVG ad. This action happens every time AVG updates.

What's worse is that Firefox asks you to import your bookmarks, just like you did a clean install of Firefox or something. It scared the sh*t out of me - I thought I lost my Firefox bookmark file (yes, I backup that file, but not often enough). Clearly AVG is not starting the Firefox browser in a proper/usual manor.

The good news is that all your bookmarks return if you close Firefox and then re-open it.

It's kind of scary that AVG would act like this, especially since this was one of the pieces of software I trusted to protect my PC (until last week when this all started).

I'm not claiming to be a great AVG customer, but I am claiming to be a helpful and responsible CNET member, and that's how I'll act, by warning others. Happy

I'll probably try Avast or something else now. Any suggestions?

Collapse -
(NT) Having NONE of these problems... what am I doing wrong? ;)
by glenn30 / March 24, 2008 9:59 AM PDT
Collapse -
re: what am I doing wrong? ;)
by Natronx / March 24, 2008 11:58 AM PDT

My guess - you're either not running AVG 7.5, or you're not getting your anti-virus updates, or you're not running Firefox.

Collapse -
(NT) Wrong on all counts. :D
by glenn30 / March 24, 2008 11:10 PM PDT
Collapse -
Problems started yesterday
by phil66 / March 24, 2008 12:03 PM PDT

Glenn

I was not having any problems with avg 7.5 free on my computer until this morning when I tried to auto update as usual

That is when the avg 8.0 ad showed up the update never happened
I had to manual update to receive the update

A friend of mine was having the problem of having to reboot after ever auto update
When I had that problem I uninstalled and then reinstalled and updated the system
When I tried to download a new program on their computer after a clean uninstall I got a corrupt file error after two tries I downloaded Avast and installed on their computer

I am beginning to see to many problems with avg to maintain it as my anti-virus even though I have been a user for a long time

Ray

Collapse -
Ray, I do not know the answer...
by glenn30 / March 24, 2008 11:17 PM PDT

I am having absolutely none of that. Am running Firefox with the add-on "Add Block Plus"... maybe that has something to do with it. I think Avast is a good anti-virus but have no experience. Should problems develop, it will be my next choice.

Thanks for the response... would be interested in your continued Avast experience. For now I will stay with AVG.

Glenn

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.