Computer Help forum

Question

My Acer Aspire 3600 CD-DVD Drive not working anymore?

by InspectorBMO / May 31, 2013 5:50 PM PDT

Before I repaired my laptop to a computer geek, I can play music and videos using CD with my laptop. However, after my laptop is repaired, my laptop can't play stuff from CD's and DVD's anymore. I tried to reinstall my OS but it can't detect the bootable disk. Is something missing from the system? If there isn't, what should I do to make it work? My OS is XP Pro and the Drive is Slimtype DVDRW SOSW- 833S.... Thanks Happy

Please tell me if you need more info Happy

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: My Acer Aspire 3600 CD-DVD Drive not working anymore?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: My Acer Aspire 3600 CD-DVD Drive not working anymore?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / May 31, 2013 6:22 PM PDT

I'd ask that computer geek to have a look. It could be something as simple as a loose cable. Such things happen during repair. Or maybe the drive has gone south by pure accident.

Kees

Collapse -
I want a repair by myself!
by InspectorBMO / May 31, 2013 9:20 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive

what do u mean by "loose cable" and how can i fix it? i won't ask that geek anymore about this cause he's departing to another country now.

anyway, I deleted upper and lower filters from the registry and the drive doesn't still work!! I uninstalled the drive then I rebooted to reinstall my drive, but it doesn't change anything!! >:(

Collapse -
Re: fixing loose cable
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 1, 2013 12:48 AM PDT

Open the case, and check if it's still connected. If not, connect it again.

Kees

Collapse -
doing it
by InspectorBMO / June 1, 2013 11:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: fixing loose cable

Do I eject the drive or "open" the whole laptop? I'm not a computer geek, sorry!

Collapse -
Answer
Some checks
by Willy / May 31, 2013 9:39 PM PDT

Since you say it worked, doesn't mean it will work forever. You need to teardown the laptop and check and verify all cable/harness are properly attached to that CD/DVD drive. If they are or "reseat" again to assure it is, then check afterwards. If it still doesn't work, there is a physical damage or severe h/w fault to that drive. The only other recourse if that some driver or s/w has wankered the drive. As you seem to have re-installed the driver, etc., and it still doesn't work, then the only other remaining test is to use a working drive and see if it works. Another test, is to make a Linux bootable live version of Ubuntu. Prove that works, elsewhere and boots OK and then try on your laptop. Your OS is XP suggests you have an older laptop, well sooner or later that drive will fail, due to wear&tear, it just happened at a bad time.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
clarification
by InspectorBMO / June 1, 2013 11:03 AM PDT
In reply to: Some checks

Willy, i am not actually a hardware technician geek or something, is there a video on how to check if the cables are not loose to the cd dvd drive and how can i fix it??

and do that ubuntu software works on WinXP?

Collapse -
Laptop teardown
by Willy / June 1, 2013 1:13 PM PDT
In reply to: clarification

While they vary, they also generally follow the same path. In no way will one be the same as another, though you get the idea of the build seems similar. That said, your best bet is to google away and hope for a "YouTube" video that someone has already done this on or similar model. You don't super special tools, but don't make something work because that's all you have. I use a toolkit found from Radio Smack that is pretty good for small screws using interchangeable screwdrivers. I also tend to use a "magnet" that will keep such small screws from getting lost.

http://www.manualslib.com/manual/232859/Acer-Aspire-L3600.html ---> is this yours, if not search website

http://tim.id.au/laptops/acer/aspire%203600%205500.pdf

Sometimes all that's needed(uncertain if your does) is to remove laptop bottom cover and then 1-screw that retains the CD/DVD drive in place. The drive then slides out which gives access to see all connections. Of course you do this with all due care and inspect closely. If this is a flat ribbon connection, be sure of the "locking mechanism" is engaged and no damage to ribbon cable.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
How to teardown?
by InspectorBMO / June 1, 2013 5:13 PM PDT
In reply to: Laptop teardown
Collapse -
You're there
by Willy / June 1, 2013 10:23 PM PDT
In reply to: How to teardown?

You have to decide how it works for teardown. You can see what's what and make an informed decision. Start using the grey matter and do what seems to make sense. FYI- don't force anything and understand some items may have a seizing mechanism to keep some items in place, so observe how something remains in place.

I see on pg. 17 a reference to a keyboard, so what can I say. I don't want to go&forth and teach you PC101. You want to fix and assume the teardown responsibilities, this is what it takes. In my .PDF file, chapter 3 explains what you need to do, pictures and all.

As I posted prior, the manual has reference also to model 5500, so google for YouTube video on that model. Google for any Acer laptop teardown to get a feel for what needs to be done.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
found the disassembly part!
by InspectorBMO / June 1, 2013 11:18 PM PDT
In reply to: You're there

I found the steps on how to disassemble the laptop from the .pdf file you suggested. My question is, what steps in the manual can I find the "cables" or something in the laptop insides that connects to the DVD Drive? Something like a loose cable thing?

Collapse -
If you can see and touch it...
by Willy / June 2, 2013 2:05 AM PDT

If you can see the drive then you can see whatever is attached to it. Sometimes, there is no harness that's immediately removable. It's more of a socket setup where the drive slides in or drops in and makes contact. The other half is either a small harness that connects to the mtrbd. in some way or it too soldered to remain in place. I can't tell from the .PDF file or pictures provided that small detail. i would think its obvious once in plain view and accessible. If you remove the drive, then you know your answer, it must be attached/connected in some way. -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
how to reattach?
by InspectorBMO / June 2, 2013 12:05 PM PDT

If it's not "connected", how can i connect it? Thanks for answering all my questions, but is there another option to repair my cd dvd drive without touching stuff inside the laptop?

Collapse -
Well , Someone Has To Touch It !
by itsdigger / June 2, 2013 12:11 PM PDT
In reply to: how to reattach?

If you are afraid to, take it to a shop and get it done. Devil

Collapse -
Thanks, I guess!
by InspectorBMO / June 2, 2013 8:46 PM PDT

thanks for the help!

Collapse -
Where are we?
by Willy / June 2, 2013 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: how to reattach?

If you haven't opened the laptop by now and only going by what I've offered and the manual's pictures and instructions then how would you reconnect it? Like I stated, you're there and it seems as *if* you haven't started opening the laptop yet. No one can resolve your problem until you physically do this or that and come back with results. Otherwise, allow a pro to do this or assume all risk and proceed. Just what have you done so far?

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?