TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

MX 3000 Remote: Anyone Familiar With This Wonderful Piece?

by EXCON / March 4, 2007 10:54 PM PST

I am about to upgrade my old Pronto Pro remote and found out about this unit. My only concerns are the level of difficulty in programming it. Anyone here know remotes really well? THANKS!http://www.smarthome.com/8054.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MX 3000 Remote: Anyone Familiar With This Wonderful Piece?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MX 3000 Remote: Anyone Familiar With This Wonderful Piece?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are you really considering a grand for a remote?
by NM_Bill / March 4, 2007 11:09 PM PST

Nice style. The Starship Enterprise comes to mind. For the price I hope it at least makes coffee to start off your day.

OK, no universal remote expert here. I went through a Pronto Neo which I hated. Was much more relaxed with a Harmony. Here's the thing. I'd really love to see postings here of honesty. Do people actually get the units to make their life considerably easier?

I had the installers out here three times, apparently with their technicians two by tow attempting to get the Harmony programmed. Never was successful to get it to easily do more than just the most basic functions. Hey, aren't they supposed to do things like switching TV modes, PIP, etc?

I never could get it to be what the goal was, namely a universal to alleviate the need for keeping individual remotes close at hand. Anyone willing to admit these things often can't be made to what they're for?

High level of programming skill shouldn't be the point. Getting the programming in to do more than basic functions couldn't be done for mine with the input of like six people.

Collapse -
500 Bucks On Ebay
by EXCON / March 5, 2007 12:44 AM PST

And worth every dime when you consider that once properly configured I no longer spend 5 minutes switching from PS3 orXBOX360 to my Tivo. After all why invest 12 Grand in equipment and have a low budget remote that can't handle macros? I will sell my old Pronto Pro for about 200 bucks and I am already selling my old Pioneer Elite DVD player so in the end I might have to spend 150 bucks. I remember the first day I had my Pronto Pro working with my old equipment, it REALLY felt like I owned a TRUE HOME THEATRE SYSTEM.

Collapse -
i know mx3000's well...
by tech fan / March 5, 2007 1:41 AM PST

yes. I do these for a living. The harmony remotes, as a rule of thumb, have trouble when it comes to complex systems. they just cannot handle the level of progrmming and macros some people want to do with them. They are however the 'easiest to program.' Maybe the ease of programming can be seen as directly proportional to the remotes capabilities.

I have sold many, and own my own MX300. The best remote I have ever used(not sayin the best, just the best I have used) hands down. keep in mind Universal makes the vast majority of original equip. remotes out there so they know what they are doing.

As far as programming...have fun. You can expect to spend anywhere from 15-50 hrs. programming depending on the complexity of your system, how you want it setup, and how well you know how things work. The remote comes blank. You not only create the visual backgronds but the 'buttons' as well. You have to define an area of the screen as a button, then tell the remote what that individual 'button' does. You must repeat this for all of the pages ou have in your remote. Unlike the harmony there are only a ew hard buttons. The rest are all designed by you.

As an example I spent around 30 hrs. on mine, and I did not go crazy with anmations and the like. I did use many photos and a coupe of slide shows between macros for fun.
My best advice is go to remotecentral.com (?) and look at the MX3000 pages.There are hundreds of templates up there and some great graphics you can use.

You can also go to your local Magnolia Home Theater in a Best Buy and for $300 they will program the remote for you. You can always take that template and spruce it up over time as you see fit but they will get it done for you. Just as an option.

Collapse -
Programming
by EXCON / March 5, 2007 2:14 AM PST

So at "remote Central" I can D/L several basic configurations to the remote, and then tailor them to my system? I don't mind playing around with it. The macros have me concerned. For example how do I get the remote to macro a TIVO "button" and then the macro would switch the receiver to Source 7, then switch audio to match the source (since video is not being switched thru the receiver). It would also need to "go back" to a Tivo Controls Page. This kinda stuff CAN be done right? I figure I will just keep playing with it an hour or 2 a night until I figure it out. Worst case: I get much of the basics done and THEN have it "tweaked" by a pro. I paid 520 bucks so even if I gotta spend 200 on programming it still sounds worth it to me.

Collapse -
kind of...
by tech fan / March 5, 2007 12:34 PM PST
In reply to: Programming

any "button" you make can do any command you want. You can have 300 lines of macro functions for a button if you want. I have not even used a third of the remotes memory and I have all kinds of pics in there. You just have to highlight the "button" and go to the mcro section. Click in the macro bar on the bottom, tell it what to do, whether it be an IR code, RF code or whatever. You continue to do this line by line until you are happy. You can also have the remote jump to any specific page or loction in your program at any given button push.

The premade layouts are good, but tailored to peoples individual systems. It is hard to impossible to use a template that someone else has. Just use it for ideas or visual downloads that you can utilize. This remote can do anything that you can think of for it to do. In fact I highly recommend going to Home Depot and getting IR light dimmers for 10 bucks and programming your remote to do them for you!!!! Tlk about showing off to friends!!! lol If you own n item that has a remote it can be done through your MX3000. Coffee maker, thermostat whatever.

Collapse -
Well, I'm glad you are committed to getting set up in the
by NM_Bill / March 6, 2007 12:37 AM PST
In reply to: Programming

highest level of control. The programming may bog you down trying to get through it. But that makes us all the more curious so please let us know how that seemingly formidible obstacle goes. I like my Harmony over the lousy Pronto Neo it replaced, but we (the installation technicians & I could enver get it programed past the most basic functions, so I stgill have to keep individual remotes close at hand.

Since universal remotes affect most all of us I wish there were more discussion as to whether people actually get them to function as advertised. I certainly admit to less than stellar results.

Collapse -
mine does everything i want it to...
by tech fan / March 6, 2007 2:42 PM PST

I have got mine to do everything I want it to. I even used some of the files available at remotecentral for some cool graphics. Like a slide show of Gone in 60 Sec. when they drive the Porsche out of the showroom while it does my "watch dvd" macro. I just bought a mac cause my pc died and i am not sure how to get the mx editor onto it yet. I will be happy to help and send th eprogramming i have done whever i can get it onto my puter. good luck.

p.s. Anyone who says this remote doesnt work, or can't do somethig simply doesnt know how to program it. You can even program a game of tic-tac-toe versus an "puter " opponent!!!!! And they say it cant turn on a dvd player! lol

The lack of hrd buttons means no limits to the possibilities. You can make as may screen per item as yo ant, include any code you want, do RF, and do any macro you want.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?