Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Must click twice on links-often get Page cannot be displayed

by Jordan Skylar / August 18, 2007 8:54 PM PDT

I'm using Windows XP Media Edition with SP2. Also use IE 6.

Starting about 3-4 weeks ago, I must click twice on most links to get the link to work. This had happened just for Yahoo games, but now it's for most links.

My home page is www.yahoo.com and it often is not displayed when I start my PC or use the Home icon. I get the message "The page cannot be displayed."

The only thing I remember changing about a month ago was an Internet option to display graphics instead of getting the boxes with the red X's.

Also, now any advertising on a web page always says "The page cannot be displayed." and nothing else is shown, except for a long error explanation.

What have I done and what can I do. Thanks.

Jordan

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Must click twice on links-often get Page cannot be displayed
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Must click twice on links-often get Page cannot be displayed
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Have a look at
by eddie11013 / August 19, 2007 12:28 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks ...
by Jordan Skylar / August 19, 2007 2:55 PM PDT
In reply to: Have a look at

I'm reading those posts. If nothing helps, I'll post back here.

Jordan

Collapse -
What about . . .
by Cursorcowboy / August 20, 2007 12:15 AM PDT

"Macromedia's Shockwave Player" which allows you to view interactive web content like games, business presentations, entertainment and advertisements (just what the Web needs - more ways to view ads!). The package includes both Shockwave and Flash Players and is a stand alone installation. You can download the file to install at a later date or use it to reinstall the player on a fresh version of Windows. The single download package makes it much easier to troubleshoot problems and you don't have to go through the active download process each time you need to install the player.

According to a Macromedia security bulletins, Shockwave Player 10.2.0.022 fixes security problems. They say that critical vulnerabilities have been identified that could allow an attacker who successfully exploits these vulnerabilities to take control of the affected system. Adobe categorises this as a critical update and recommends affected users update to version 10.2.0.022.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.