Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Muslims demand that the Pope apologize. Why?

by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2006 8:14 AM PDT
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Muslims demand that the Pope apologize. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Muslims demand that the Pope apologize. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
wonder if hes getting death threats
by Mark5019 / September 15, 2006 8:59 AM PDT

from these "peace loveing people"?

Collapse -
OK...........
by Glenda / September 15, 2006 9:29 AM PDT

when the President of Iran apologizes to Israel!

Like that would happen!!

Collapse -
It's OK for Muslims to criticize everyone else
by Diana Forum moderator / September 15, 2006 9:36 AM PDT

But don't anybody criticize Islam or the Prophet especially if it's true.

Diana

Collapse -
Nowhere have I seen it written
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2006 9:53 AM PDT

the full of the context from which these small pieces are taken so they can be viewed with the full perspective of the lecture in place. I have to wonder just how many Muslims (and the rest of us as well) have only heard the snippets reported by the media...and I could have every suspicion that the media wants it just this way to create a bigger story than really exists....to actually incite people so they can film, photograph and report on outrage they intended to create. I only hope my cynicism is unfounded but must consider the newswriters to the enemies of all and friends of none. Sad

Collapse -
Out of context
by marinetbryant / September 15, 2006 11:34 AM PDT
Collapse -
What media?
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2006 12:19 PM PDT
In reply to: Out of context

If this is the source, the reference is slight indeed. What media would make it known in the Muslim world? Apparently, it doesn't take very much to insult Islam.

Collapse -
Surely you have seen or sensed
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2006 10:55 PM PDT
In reply to: What media?

that "general" media has made certain that selected pieces get disseminated widely in order to stir up muck and nothing else. The Muslim world does not live hidden from the technology to receive such. Even here in SE, many times it seems folks get stirred up when offered out of context bits of material that, after further research, can make one look foolish for their initial reactions.....and we never learn...it keeps repeating.

Collapse -
Thanks....hadn't seen that
by Steven Haninger / September 15, 2006 10:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Out of context

and it certainly changes the tone of the lecture in my mind. Perhaps there out to be stamps we can buy during hunting season valid for news reporters. Devil

Collapse -
No problem
by marinetbryant / September 15, 2006 11:08 PM PDT

I kinda like researching and looking for things like that.

Tom

Collapse -
It seems to me that
by dirtyrich / September 15, 2006 10:47 AM PDT

assuming the Pope was quoted correctly, that his statement accurately protrays Islamic teachings. I'd say that the Pope is as good of a historical religious expert as you'll find.

Collapse -
That still leaves the question of why Muslims are demanding
by Kiddpeat / September 15, 2006 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: It seems to me that

an apology. Do they want their turn at rewriting history?

Collapse -
well you know
by Mark5019 / September 15, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

why they can kill because allah says so or at least they beleave that

Collapse -
No KP, as far as I know you are entirely on solid ground on
by Ziks511 / September 15, 2006 12:29 PM PDT

this one, as is the Pope. I don't know if there was a specific dictum from Mohammed to "spread the faith by the sword" or whether it was his successors idea. It's not my area, but the facts are with the Pope. Islam did come screaming out of the desert on a spree of conquest that took them to the gates of Vienna and to the Battles of Roncevaux in southern and of Tours in central France.

[Curiously we live not far from a main north south artery in south-western Toronto called Roncesvalles Avenue. which uses the old southern French/Spanish spelling of Roncevaux.]

But please remember that none of that is in the Koran so far as I know, and that Islamic rule in many places was tolerant of other faiths once their hegemony had been established. Remember the words of Faisal in Lawrence of Arabia, "In Corduba (Cordova, Spain) there were miles of street lights when London was still a village." And Jews and Christians lived quite comfortably under that rule for a long time. It wasn't til Ferdinand and Isabella kicked out the Moors and then all the Jews in 1492 and instituted the Inquisition of revolting memory that things got ugly again. Conquest was relatively short lived, but the Inquisition went on seemingly forever, certainly for centuries.

Rob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?