Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight

An Islamic civil rights group is calling for an investigation to determine why 40 Muslims were not allowed to board a flight from Germany to Detroit after their pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.
Northwest Airlines officials said the passengers arrived too late to catch the flight, but some of the Muslims, appearing at a press conference yesterday with the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), called it religious discrimination.
The Muslims arrived at the Frankfurt airport at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 7 on a charter plane from Saudi Arabia. They did not show up at the ticket counter until about 20 minutes before the Detroit-bound Flight 51 left at 10:20 a.m., said Dean Breest, a Northwest Airlines spokesman.
The airline industry and governmental agencies have check-in and boarding deadlines to help ensure on-time departures, and Northwest Airlines policy states that passengers must check in for international flights at least 60 minutes before departure and be aboard the aircraft at least 30 minutes before departure.
"The rules are the rules," said Roman Blahoski, spokesman for Northwest Airlines. "It does not matter who they are; they would be turned away because the flight had already closed."
Mr. Blahoski said, "Northwest takes these accusations very seriously," but "these passengers were denied boarding because they did not meet the standard check-in deadline."

seems to me when i fly i get there early and at gate ontime, but then im not special Sad

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20070116-101236-4249r.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Watch them claim discrimination...

In reply to: Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight

when they can't file suite in an [American] court.

Collapse -
Northwest apologizes, vows to reimburse Muslims barred from

In reply to: Watch them claim discrimination...

DEARBORN -- Reacting swiftly to allegations of discrimination, Northwest Airlines apologized to a group of 40 Muslims today for barring them from a plane in Germany on their return trip from the Hajj.

The airline said it will reimburse the pilgrims for the other flights they were forced to take on their return from the Hajj, the Muslim pilgrimage to Mecca, Saudi Arabia.

Moreover, a ranking official of the airline said the flight for which the passengers from Metro Detroit were ticketed could have been held at the gate until all were cleared for boarding, and she is looking into why that decision was not made.

Andrea Newman, the senior vice-president for government relations, said she will travel to Metro Detroit on Friday to discuss those issues and others with Imam Sayed Hassan al-Qazwini, the clergyman at the largest mosque in the country, the Islamic Center of America, and others who were affected by the snafu. Many of the pilgrims had to pay for hotel accommodations and some are still awaiting the delivery of their luggage, and Newman vowed that the airline would consider reimbursements for the accommodations and return the luggage.

they caved in

if you or I get there late would they do this i doubt it Sad

www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.../701170462

Collapse -
Yes, a cave-in of appeasement it appears to me,

In reply to: Northwest apologizes, vows to reimburse Muslims barred from

sort of like many of our US civil rights complaints.

What in particular that gets me is that the airline did not mention in their statement about the 3 hour loafing around the Muslims did before showing up 20 minutes before the flight departure.

Re: "The Muslims arrived at the Frankfurt airport at 7:30 a.m. Jan. 7 on a charter plane from Saudi Arabia. They did not show up at the ticket counter until about 20 minutes before the Detroit-bound Flight 51 left at 10:20 a.m."

The airline seems to be worming around with the appeasement by saying:

"Moreover, a ranking official of the airline said the flight for which the passengers from Metro Detroit were ticketed could have been held at the gate until all were cleared for boarding, and she is looking into why that decision was not made."

Collapse -
Don't you love it

In reply to: Northwest apologizes, vows to reimburse Muslims barred from

A company states that these are the rules and, when some clerk enforces it, the company apologizes profusely and, probably, reams out the clerk.

Diana

Collapse -
there afraid

In reply to: Don't you love it

and why shouldnt they be look at whos complaing need i say more?

Collapse -
Ever watch "Airline"....

In reply to: Muslims cite discrimination in denial of flight

.... on A&E?

It's about Southwest Airlines, and I'm sure the problems that passengers cause them are true of all the airlines.

The most common is passengers blaming the airline for missing their flight.

Me? I get there at least 3 hours ahead of time. And schedule my connecting flights accordingly in case one of the legs is late.

Seems to me that their chartered flight company would have been aware of the check-in rules.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
my sister flies every week

In reply to: Ever watch "Airline"....

from ga to dc she gets there 2 hrs ahead

but then shes not expecting the airlines to give her special privileges

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.