Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Muslim scholar calls for airline boycott

by Mark5019 / November 21, 2006 9:04 AM PST

Six imams were removed from a US Airways flight at Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport on Monday and questioned by police for several hours before being released, a leader of the group said.
Bob von Sternberg, Star Tribune

Ahmed Shqeirat talks to reporters.

Elizabeth Flores , Star Tribune
2IMAM1122.107478.jpg

Imams in the airport

Elizabeth Flores , Star Tribune

One of the Muslim scholars removed from a US Airways flight on Monday today called for imams around the country to boycott the airline after employees refused to sell him new tickets for his flight home.

On Monday, Omar Shahin and five other imams had gone to Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport to fly home to Phoenix after attending a conference in Minneapolis of the North American Imams Federation. Shahin is president of the group.

But after passengers raised concerns about the imams ? three of whom said their normal evening prayers in the airport terminal before boarding the Phoenix-bound plane ? the imams were removed from the flight and questioned by authorities.

works for me let them take a boat harder to knowk down a building:)

http://www.startribune.com/462/story/826056.html

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Muslim scholar calls for airline boycott
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Muslim scholar calls for airline boycott
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
One article I read had an Imam inferring that
by Steven Haninger / November 21, 2006 9:28 AM PST

we just all needed to be made more aware of Islamic customs. Well, perhaps that would have helped in this situation but I cannot see the practicality of doing so or understand why one culture needs the rest to give them special attention. We hear of terrorist shouting praises to allah just before their violent acts. Seeing these men suddenly up and praying might evoke a natural, albeit ignorant, response. Get over it and learn to forgive, Imams.

Collapse -
they need to relize
by Mark5019 / November 21, 2006 9:34 AM PST

what there radical friends have shown there peacefull tendencys

Collapse -
Don't know about "ignorant".....
by Mac McMullen / November 21, 2006 12:36 PM PST

Re: "Seeing these men suddenly up and praying might evoke a natural, albeit ignorant, response....."

If "they" don't desire attention, they shouldn't "draw" it.

Collapse -
How could a prayer
by Terry Browne / November 21, 2006 4:11 PM PST

in our globalized and informated world draw attention to something as simple as a prayer?

Collapse -
well
by Mark5019 / November 21, 2006 5:29 PM PST
In reply to: How could a prayer

i heard on the news that muslums can do a prayer with out the rug when travleing.

if true seems to me they wanted trouble.

and the last time i checked the planes that took down the towers was taken over not by boy scouts, but by"radical" muslums

seems to me there unrest is justified

Collapse -
Ignorance isn't really a negative term
by Steven Haninger / November 21, 2006 7:58 PM PST

It just means lacking specific knowledge. We are all ignorant about many things....one of which is Muslim culture...though we are getting lessons daily. The piece I heard suggested one of the Imams blamed ignorance for the incident and that such should not happen. This would mean the passengers should all be aware of what was taking place and that it was no threat. Ok, so we have some ignorance of their culture. But, at the same time, I would say they are showing ignorance of what we have seen to be true...that terrorists often hide their intentions in their religious practices. They, I would say, have no excuse to not understand the reaction of the passengers.

Collapse -
Cause and effect......
by Mac McMullen / November 21, 2006 8:32 PM PST

I, for one, certainly don't call the "reaction" in this case ignorant and needy of education. Particularly when the current thrust of "education" is to be alert and report suspicious persons and activity. Such suspicion left to the imagination of the individual.

Better safe than sorry. I doubt it beyond imagination for a group of radical islamists to pose as imams and repeat 9/11/01. How do we know this incident, "prayer time" and all, wasn't a "dry run" to "test the system" ?

Collapse -
They aren't the only ones
by Diana Forum moderator / November 21, 2006 12:00 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) unless they were magic carpets
by Mark5019 / November 21, 2006 12:03 PM PST
Collapse -
Well, unless you hit turbulence, your flying carpet won't
by Ziks511 / November 21, 2006 1:39 PM PST

lose your luggage. Or should we make that a flying carpet bag?

Rob

Collapse -
Let them sue.
by Angeline Booher / November 21, 2006 8:01 PM PST

Airlines can refuse boarding to passengers who have over imbibed, whose health can be at risk to fly, and who are too boisterous. They can remove those about which other passengers complain for cause, those who refuse to shut off their cell phones, and refuse to follow the instructions of the crew. Sometimes the staff can make the decisions, and at other times it is the call of the Captain. Now some are requiring obese passengers to buy 2 seats.

The whole point is that all of the passengers in the cabin must be considered. That's why flights are now non-smoking.

No doubt thousands of Muslims fly every day. Those men in the article called attention to themselves, and I suspect they did so on purpose to make a point or to test the waters.

"Airline" on A&E provides a good education re: what airlines go through.

Angeline
Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email
semods4@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Sounds good to me
by hh / November 21, 2006 10:43 PM PST

The title, that is.
Maybe then, all these long lines and extra security measures could be scaled down.
Maybe we don't have to worry about another 9/11 type incident.

Collapse -
and I call for philip morris**
by WOODS-HICK / November 21, 2006 11:21 PM PST

prior to 9/11 the other passengers probably would have giggled and finger-pointed at these 'foreigners'. fear and suspicion are our co-pilot now.

I believe we have all prayed without the rituals while in flight. call it 'white knuckle conversions' or checking in before possibly checking out.

I agree that this boycott could speed up boarding. I agree that they should adapt the customs of the usa. do not avoid alcohol, have a glass of courage.

I have not been on an airplane in 10-12 years. I walk, bike, drive, train, boat to avoid the claustrophobia of a flying boxcar. I do fit the control freak profile.

so I suggest the next time this type of incident occurs: all passengers rise, hold hands and sing: 'god bless america'.

** before tv was cleansed of one 'vice' and plagued with others

"CALL FOR PHILIP MORRIS"
ca. 1919---1950's

Collapse -
and when its been
by Mark5019 / November 23, 2006 4:33 AM PST

shown every terrist has been a muslum(not saying all muslums are terrists but all terriosts been muslums, while ther laughing and jokeing bout there praying teck,. may find there way into a building

Collapse -
but what I said was:
by WOODS-HICK / November 23, 2006 6:16 AM PST
In reply to: and when its been
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.