General discussion

Music Videos?

Hi,
I am a musician who is getting into making my own music videos. I'm looking for the right video cam.
I would like to be able to plug my mic and or mixer into my web cam. I would like to have the easiest and most available video eding possibilites. I am making videos for my web site. Can anyone suggest which camcorders might be right for me? I'm looking on the low-end pice wise.
Thanks,
Ray Musicbear
http://musicbear.net

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Music Videos?
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Music Videos?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Virtually all camcorders allow an external mic to be plugged

in. This is because the built in mic is, typically, not very high in quality. You can plug a mixer into this mic input, but you will have to be very careful to avoid overdriving this input. If you need to use both mic and mixer, the mic would have to be plugged in to the mixer.

That said, the camcorder is not an editing device. For starters, the positioning of the record head is not very precise. Couple that with one video track and one audio track, and there is not much capability.

The camcorder is an excellent source of video, and most camcorders can probably handle the kind of video you have in mind.

Editing, today, is done on the computer. That is where multiple clips come together, audio is adjusted and positioned, and video can be spliced at the frame level. Also, that is where special effects, transitions, etc. are applied.

HTH

- Collapse -
Re: Music Videos?

Hi HTH,
Thanks for your reply!
Ray Musicbear

CNET Forums

Forum Info