Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Music Subscription

by bwk5150 / March 2, 2006 1:22 AM PST

Which is the best music subscription service looks like yahoo is 10 bucks a month (to use for a mp3 player). I looked at rhapsody and couldnt find a price on their service. I new to this i just got the Sandisk player. So which one is the best price and value?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Music Subscription
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Music Subscription
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Rhapsody - HUGE Rebate since you have the sandisk
by Chip_Leader / March 2, 2006 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Music Subscription

very easy answer... If you have the Sandisk M series and bought it between 10/3/2005 and 2/28/2006 you will want to use Rhapsody - here is why:

www.rhapsody.com/rebate

Sign up for a 6 month commitment for $90 ($15/month) and since you bought a sandisk you will get an $80.00 rebate. SOOOOO... $10.00 TOTAL ($90-$80) for 6 months of to go service!!!!!!! TOTAL - Not $10 PER MONTH - TOTAL!!!

I have only used Rhapsody, so I am not qualified to compare them to Napster etc. BUT I can say to date I have found Rhapsody to be easy to use, have plenty of selection etc.

Note - be careful in what service you sign up for. Usually there is a base subscription service on these sites for like $10/month. That allows unlimited streaming to your PC. BUT if you want to transfer to a player, you need a "To Go" service, which is usually more like $15/month

But again, if you have the Sandisk Sansa and do not do this $80 rebate you are crazy.

Collapse -
I used Napster and Rhapsody, and prefer Rhapsody
by markizoto7 / March 3, 2006 1:29 AM PST
In reply to: Music Subscription

I had the opportunity to have a free subscription to Napster for a year (only on my computer, not the ability to convert to my mp3 player). When the subscription ran out, I had to decide what I wanted to do.

What I did, and what I recommend to you, is that you try out all the services to see which one you like better. Rhapsody has a 14 day free trail period, as does Napster, except for Napster you have to give credit card info (just call Napster customer service and talk to a person so you can make sure they cancel your account if you dont want to continue with it). I have not used Yahoo so I don't know.

BUT BEWARE: If you want to use the 80 dollar Rhapsody rebate, I am pretty sure you may not be able to use the 14 day trial period (I could be mistaken though, just look at the rebate offer that came with your Sansa). Also, I believe the rebate comes with the m200 series, not the earlier e100? series.

I bought a 1 Gig Sansa m240 just because it was pretty much free with the Rhapsody rebate and the 13 dollar rolling stone rebate. When I called to inquire about the rebate I was told it was still availabe until the end of march (although I forgot if they said you can buy a player until the end of March, or your rebate must be postmarked by the end of March).

Anyway I chose Rhapsody because it had a better music selection in what I was interested in (Jazz-Funk, such as John Scofield and Medeski Martin and wood, and Jimi Hendrix to name a few). Napster had the same artists, but they were "buy only" and not available for subscription downloads. Also Rhapsody streamed music extremely well onto my laptop, whereas to listen to a song on Napster it was pretty much essential to download it to your hardrive.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
what are the prices
by bwk5150 / March 3, 2006 3:11 AM PST

Yahoo seems to be the cheapest. 5 bucks a month and 10 if your using a player. Anyone know anything about yahoo yet? I will use the 80 buck rebate first but after yahoo is 5 bucks a month cheaper than Rhaspy.

Collapse -
10/15
by markizoto7 / March 3, 2006 8:59 AM PST
In reply to: what are the prices

I believe both Napster are Rhapsody are 10 for the computer only and 15 for computer and MP3.

So Rhapsody would be 90 bucks for six months, but with the 80 dollar rebate it would cost you 10 bucks for 6 months, as opposed to 10 bucks for one month of Yahoo. I would recommend Rhapsody for six months, then after that you can just switch to Yahoo - or just do both - basically for 10 bucks you get six months of Rhapsody, which is basically nothing, and you can subscribe to Yahoo if you really like it better at the same time.

Just make sure that Yahoo has the kind of music available for subscription download that you are looking for. I know that on both Napster and Rhapsody, there are a few artists (More on Napster) that are "Buy only" which means you must buy the track for 89 - 99 cents and CANNOT use it as a subscription download. I would imagine there is a similar deal with Yahoo.

Collapse -
thanks
by bwk5150 / March 6, 2006 3:48 AM PST
In reply to: 10/15

ok thanks for the info one more thing if i have 2 mp3 players is it gonna let me download to 2 both with one subscription

Collapse -
It should
by markizoto7 / March 18, 2006 10:17 PM PST
In reply to: thanks

I believe it works with up to three players - not sure exactly though.

I know over the course of a few months when I was trying out a few players I had used it interchangeably with a Sansa m260, Creative Zen Micro Photo, Sansa m240, and Zen Vision:M and I never had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Also,
by markizoto7 / March 18, 2006 10:20 PM PST
In reply to: It should

Just make sure both your players of subscription compatable of course.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.