Laptops forum

General discussion

music on laptop

hi i would like to put music on my laptop but i dont want to take up alot of space on it. i have 60gb of hard drive.the only thing i ewas thinking of doing was putting all the music on a flash drive to save room. do you think that would work or would i be better of not puttin limewire on my system at all??

music is my life soo please help!!!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: music on laptop
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: music on laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How much music do you have?

In reply to: music on laptop

That you can put on a flash drive? I too have a 60GB hard drive on my laptop. Half of it goes to videos and music. I just decided to make my laptop dedicated to music and video content. I have an external hard drive, but it is a pain to have to plug it in everytime I want to sync my iPods.

I can't really give you advice on whether or not to use the flash drive. But if you do, you might want another back up of some sort in case it fails.

I would probably not put Limewire on your computer, though. While Limewire itself is legal, many people use it to obtain music illegally. Unless you're getting permission from the copyright owners themselves (who wrote/recorded the music) to download them, the music is illegal. My feeling on that is that if you have something to lose (like a house, money, other worldly possessions) or you have the potential to have things to lose (you have a job) then it's not such a good idea. Your chances of getting sued by the RIAA are slim, but you'll never know who they'll target next.

Collapse -
Lots of ideas spring to mind...

In reply to: music on laptop

If you have an internet connection on the machine then why not use some streaming service like LaunchCast? This would stream audio to the machine so that there isn't the need to store much data on the machine though you would get a wide variety of material as I have rated thousands of songs on there.

Another idea would be to have a portable MP3 player that holds your music that plugs into the laptop that is a little different than the flash drive idea. This would be the case if you don't always have a connection and don't want to use hard drive space on the laptop.

Meanwhile, I use part of my laptop that has an 80 GB hard drive to hold some music and it isn't that bad at times.

Regards,
JB

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

SMART HOME

This one tip will help you sleep better tonight

A few seconds are all you need to get a better night's rest.