General discussion

Music from CD to Laptop

Have laptop with Windows 7. What I want to do is take a song from a CD, download it, and be able to edit it down to either 30 seconds or a minute. Im a coach and we dont need 4 minute routines. Is there a good software program I can download that wont eat all my RAM?

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Music from CD to Laptop
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Music from CD to Laptop
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Audacity or Goldwave might work for you

Google them and look up their system requirements so you can compare these to your laptop's specifications. Since you mentioned eating your RAM, I do wonder if you really mean your hard drive space. The amount of HD space would depend on the format and quality you rip music to. I do think you should also look into possible copyright and licensing issues when ripping from commercial CDs to use for other purposes than personal listening. I'm fairly certain there is a maximum time such song samples can be played without running into problems and I believe that keeping the samples to 30 seconds and under is fairly safe. It may seem innocuous enough but, being a coach, you probably get to deal with egos and potential hostility from parents and such and who knows to what lengths they will go if not happy. Sorry to have to say that but reality is reality. Good luck.

- Collapse -
re: Audacity

That helps alot! Another coach uses WavePad, but that only edits the music. You need to buy another program called ExpressRip too. Ugh. There are trial versions that I can try, but Ive heard they lack most of the features. I dont mind paying for Software, but Id rather pay for one that can rip and then cut. As far as skating (thats our sport) most of the music is classical, and no one is going to chase us for copyright for that. And these "programs" (skating to music), that may be actual songs, are only played at our practice rink. Again, no one is chasing us for royalties at a small rink. If I were to take a student to a competition out in public, then Id pay some engineer at a professional studio to cut the music and Im sure he would tell me if there were royalties, etc. But right now I only need about 30 seconds of a 2 minute song for practice programs. Most skaters at upper levels have 3 or 4 minutes, and at that point, you go to an engineer then.

Does Audacity allow you to rip and edit?

- Collapse -
A nod to Audacity.

Free, can clip audio without too much fuss.
Bob

- Collapse -
For ripping I use CDEX.

Another free and easy title.

CNET Forums

Forum Info