General discussion

Music Files Won't Open

My hard drive in my sony vaio laptop just failed so I got it replaced professionally and they saved all my files and put them back on my new hard drive for me. So all my music files are there but I cannot open them in any program, I tried iTunes and Windows Media Player and nothing works. I have tried changing permissions some but don't know exactly what I'm supposed to do, and tried removing the id3 tags and what not and have no clue how to access these files. PLEASE HELP! The majority are not purchased from itunes, as I know how to replace those already. They saved all 40-ish GB so I know the files are there, I just need help accessing these.

PS. I had vista and upgraded to windows 7 and everything works properly. I've downloaded a few new songs which all work fine in iTunes (my preferred player).

One other thing that came to mind is: I believe my original vista, before my hard drive failed, was a 64-bit and then upgraded to windows 7 which I believe was still 64-bit. When the people replaced my hard drive I had to bring my windows 7 upgrade cd, but since there was no operating system to upgrade from they installed their own 32-bit vista then used my upgrade to windows 7 so now I'm running 32-bit windows 7. I don't know if this would relate, I can't imagine it would but thought I'd let you know. Thanks a lot for any help.

Discussion is locked

Follow
Reply to: Music Files Won't Open
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Music Files Won't Open
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments

CNET Forums

Forum Info