Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

music files/registry

by 12551 / February 2, 2006 4:52 AM PST

several times in the past my sys. has had problems w/the registry.looks like its happening again. I have looked at registry editors, but these look beyond my abilities. I usually use Sys.Restore & this works fine. However,I often lose some files,never to be seen again. my problem is I now have 14GB of music files(wav,mp3,wma,+others),(some of which my sys. will not allow me to copy to disks)that will be difficult to replace.what do I do? my sys. info is in my profile.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: music files/registry
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: music files/registry
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
51, More Information Please
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / February 2, 2006 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: music files/registry

Whenever posting questions on these forums, please give us as much information as possible about your computer. Depending on your issue, we might need the operating system, processor speed, amount of RAM installed, brand name of the computer, (if there is one), and any EXACT error messages you are receiving, and in your case, the type of burner and burning software you're using. The more information you give us, the better informed our answer will be.

It may not be a registry problem at all..Have you tried searching for spyware, etc. on the computer? If so, which programs are you using. If you haven't already searched for spyware and malware, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
spy/ malware
by 12551 / February 3, 2006 3:36 AM PST

ran all these except ewido,(dosen't work in winME?)

Collapse -
Re: backup
by Kees Bakker / February 2, 2006 6:54 AM PST

You don't tell anything on the problems you experience. So nobody (including you, I suppose) does know if there are registry problems. Could be, could just as well (or more likely) be quite other problems. Malware is just one.

System restore in Windows ME (better put that info here, instead of pointing to your profile) shouldn't delete any user files, only system files. So that part of your story is strange.

And I really advice you to DO a backup on everything you don't want to lose (be it music or other info). The risk of losing it is just to big if you don't. Hard disk will fail, to name a common reason. 14 Gb of music burns to 3, maybe 4 DVD's.
There's no obvious reason why your system wouldn't allow you to burn anything you can listen to to DVD. Better tell more on that (how do you burn, what happens if you try to burn a selection with such an obstructing file?).

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
music files
by 12551 / February 3, 2006 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: Re: backup

don't have dvd burner just cd-rw,quite a few disks req. w/cd-rw. the files I can't copy are mp3 downloads,message says I don't have license to copy to this device.

Collapse -
T hat's the risk with DRM ...
by Kees Bakker / February 3, 2006 3:57 AM PST
In reply to: music files

(digital rights management = copy protection). Can you tell what burning program gives such a message?

If it are too many cd's, consider to buy an external hard disk for backup purposes. Or one day, unexpectedly, you might lose them.

Kees

Collapse -
Restoration.
by Cursorcowboy / February 2, 2006 8:54 PM PST

Since you use WinME, the article [Q261716] explains that after using the System Restore utility, some files (files that are listed on the include section of the Filelist.xml file, for example, files that have .exe, .com, .drv, .dll, or .sys as their file name extension) that were on your computer before the restore procedure may no longer be on your computer. It would appear from this statement that you have nothing to worry about concerning the music files (wav,mp3,wma,+others). However, should the restore function affect them, the article explains that you may Undo the last restoration.

Collapse -
music files intact
by 12551 / February 3, 2006 2:53 AM PST
In reply to: Restoration.

did sys.restore,files intact,but I am still getting a notice that says kernel win32 core component dll is trying to contact web. ???

Collapse -
If you give an error message ...
by Kees Bakker / February 3, 2006 4:05 AM PST
In reply to: music files intact

please give it litterally. A google search for "kernel win32 core component dll is trying to contact web" gives no result, so I assume that it's not the exact text. That makes it impossible to tell what it's about.

Also, when do you get this message, and what program (if you can tell) does give it? And what's the relation between this error and the problems you mentioned (well, not really) in your original post, where you (probably incorrectly) blamed the registry. The registry doesn't contain any dll.

Ewido doesn't work with Windows ME indeed. Try the online scans from www.bitdefender.com and housecall.antivirus.com instead.

But it's good to read you still have your files.

Kees

Collapse -
sys info
by 12551 / February 3, 2006 3:44 AM PST

Mainboard : KT400-8235
Chipset : VIA KT400 (VT8377)
Processor : AMD Athlon XP @ 1666 MHz
Physical Memory : 768 MB (3 x 256 DDR-SDRAM )
Video Card : Nvidia Corp RIVA TNT2 Model 64 [NVM64]
CD-Rom Drive : IOMEGA ZIPCD 650 USB
Hard Disk : GENERIC IDE DISK TYPE47 (39 GB)
CD-Rom Drive : SONY CD-ROM CDU55E
Monitor Type : Dell Computer DELL P991 - 18 inchs
Network Card : Intel Corporation 82550/1/7/8/9 EtherExpress PRO/100(B) Ethernet Adapter
Operating System : Microsoft Windows ME 4.90.3000
DirectX : Version 9.0c

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.