HolidayBuyer's Guide

Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

Music cd's

by dawson9b7b / March 14, 2007 1:31 AM PDT

To get your music cd's onto the Zune, do you have to also subscribe to the pay Zune service, or can you just send them directly to the Zune? What I'm asking is what is the process?
Thanks,

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Music cd's
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Music cd's
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You don't have to pay
by ktreb / March 14, 2007 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Music cd's

You need to rip (copy) your cds to your computer. Most people use a compressed format, such as mp3,wma, or aac. You can either use the software that comes with the Zune, Windows Media Player, or whichever music software you have. If you're not ripping with the Zune software, you'll eventually need to add the music to the Zune library. Once that's done, you connect the Zune to your computer and sync using Zune software. I would imagine that there are some sort of instructions included on how to do this.

Here's a link to "Using Windows Media Player 11." Although it's specific to WMP 11, it's pretty basic and most of the concepts can be applied to other media players and devices.

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/player/11/using.mspx

As far as paying for anything goes, you only need to pay if you are purchasing any downloaded content. You can purchase individual songs or do a monthly all you can download subscription, which is a good option if you don't have a large music library. Although once you stop paying for the subscription, you won't be able to play those songs. The songs you pay for individually are not affected by this. If you have or are planning on buying a Zune, then you'll need to use the Zune Marketplace. (It's a relationship much like iPod has with iTunes)

Collapse -
Music cd's
by hector99b6 / March 14, 2007 10:07 PM PDT

The Zune software (not the store, so you don't pay $$) will rip your CDs to mp3 or wma format. You could also use whatever ripping software you like and stick it in your my music folder and the Zune software will automatically recognize it. I think the Zune software works similarly to windows media player 11. Interestingly, I came across a site zunedownloads.com which has a good collection of Zune Music Videos, Movies & others. My daughter owns an Ipod and my son just bought a Zune, this worked out great. Thanks! Zunedownloads.com saved me tons of money.

Collapse -
RIPPING Music from CDs--(CDaudioFiles)
by castingRod47 / March 16, 2007 6:42 AM PDT

In Windows/in MY COMPUTER..choose a Optical Drive that also RECORDS..in Properties ENABLE-->>recording..and in AUTOPLAY select RIPPING..then OPEN the WMP-10 or 11 and in TOOLS/Options select the RIPPING TAB/
Choose MP3..and a compression size..128-->>192 kbps is very good..choose to have the RIPPING begin when the CD--is INSERTED..and EJECTED when Completed..
you will find your MUSIC Files in a FOLDER labled UNKNOWN Artist in MY MUSIC..chances are there will only be NUMBERD TRACKS...no TEXT for the TITLES..but you can RENAME each FILE with the approiate TITLEname..BUT Windows will always keep any original Filename..your RENAME CHOICE may not appear in some Devices..or other files..
That's about it.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

HOLIDAY GIFT GUIDE 2017

Cameras that make great holiday gifts

Let them start the new year with a step up in photo and video quality from a phone.