Speakeasy forum

General discussion

Murtha accused of bribe cover-up

by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 8:50 AM PDT

Rep. John P. Murtha's Republican challenger has accused him of negotiating a $50,000 bribe and of trying to cover it up for 26 years.
A recently released FBI video recorded in 1980 shows the Pennsylvania Democrat talking with an FBI agent posing as a representative to an Arab sheik who offers Mr. Murtha $50,000 in cash in exchange for private immigration legislation.
"When you see the video, there was every intent of taking the bribe," said Diana Irey, a Washington County, Pa., commissioner who is running to unseat Mr. Murtha. "For 26 years, John Murtha has been living a lie."
Six members of the House and one senator were forced to resign because of their involvement in what became known as the "Abscam" scandal.
The video was released last week on the American Spectator Web site (www.spectator.org), a conservative publication. The magazine says it received the video from a source close to the Abscam investigation.
"It was widely reported that he provided testimony against others," Mrs. Irey said, when asked why Mr. Murtha was not prosecuted for his ties to the Abscam investigation.
Mr. Murtha cooperated with officials in the prosecution of former Democratic Reps. Frank Thompson of New Jersey and John Murphy of New York. In July 1981, the House ethics committee ruled there was no evidence Mr. Murtha acted improperly, although E. Barrett Prettyman Jr., the special counsel assigned to the committee, resigned in protest. The FBI listed Mr. Murtha as an "unindicted co-conspirator" in the scandal.
Near the end of the 54-minute video of the meeting, Mr. Murtha and Philadelphia lawyer Howard Criden return to the room after a brief absence. Mr. Criden then begins speaking to undercover FBI agent Anthony Amoroso, who posed as "Tony DeVito," the purported sheik's representative.
"John says it's OK for you to give me what's in the drawer," M

tisk tisk

http://www.washingtontimes.com/national/20061004-113420-5596r.htm

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Murtha accused of bribe cover-up
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Murtha accused of bribe cover-up
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
And you accuse the Democrats of dirty tricks. The statute
by Ziks511 / October 5, 2006 10:05 AM PDT

of Limitations is long past in that case, and if he wasn't prosecuted there must have been some reason, and don't tell me it was because the Democrats were in charge from 1981 to 1993. Sleazy is as sleazy does, and Murtha is the most respected man in the House by most of the Military, not to mention the most knowledgeable on military matters, hence his dissent from the Administrations current Iraq policy.

Rob

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Another 20+ yr old scandal you've discovered, way to go
by Ziks511 / October 5, 2006 10:06 AM PDT
Collapse -
once a crook allways a crook
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 10:10 AM PDT

time dosnt matter
your baisis of admireing certain thieves make me wonder how honets you are
mind you not saying you lie your memeory of history comes to mind

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) So if he broke the law then, it's ok now?
by duckman / October 5, 2006 11:23 AM PDT
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Who cares? He's a Democrat.
by EdH / October 5, 2006 11:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
i know the cut and run democrats
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 10:07 AM PDT

think of him
but hes no hereo as others have said his medals are mybe not earned

but then you think clinton was honerable

Collapse -
What do you think of Mark Warner, Mark?
by Dave Konkel [Moderator] / October 5, 2006 11:17 PM PDT

The war is unfortunately unwinnable. To quote Kenny Rogers, "ypou gotta know when to fold 'em" -- there's no point sending good money (and all too many American lives) after bad. Tim to give up on iraq, and focus on Afghanistan, where the war really is still winnable.

-- Dave K, Speakeasy Moderator
click here to email semods4@yahoo.com

The opinions expressed above are my own,
and do not necessarily reflect those of CNET!

Collapse -
and your experiance as a soldier
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:20 PM PDT

wait you dont have any

and as this was about murtha dont waffle dk

Collapse -
Most respected?
by marinetbryant / October 5, 2006 10:13 AM PDT

I know a lot of Marines, Old Corps and New, that wouldn't give him the sweat off their gonads if he was dying of thirst!
Most knowledgeable on military matters? 20+ years in Congress does that? Guess Strom Thurmond was a tactical genius.

Tom

Collapse -
tom im shocked
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Most respected?

rob seems to think diferent how can it be:)

Collapse -
May I suggest that you don't know...
by Jack Ammann / October 5, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

..."jackcrap" about Military Science and Tactics.

Collapse -
Logical leap there...
by dirtyrich / October 5, 2006 8:56 PM PDT

"Murtha is the most respected man in the House by most of the Military, not to mention the most knowledgeable on military matters, hence his dissent from the Administrations current Iraq policy."

You have no proof that his voiced opinions are due to any of his experience.
Also, one of the main things that voters should know about a candidate is their character... and the videotape blatantly shows that Murtha lacks integrity and responsibility. Despite his testimony, he was still willing to sell out the American people, his constituents, for money. This is not a simple case of "I made a mistake." It is a serious ethical breach that required significant thought and premeditation on Murtha's part. How can a man like this be trusted again?
You may not understand this, but this is the same reason that many were disgusted with Clinton. For his own personal gain, he lied while under oath to the rest of America. His lie was not an attempt to bolster national security (whether successful or not), it was concerning a matter that was completely personal and in my opinion, minor. I can honestly say that I would think much better of Clinton if he had simply admitted it originally, and most of America would likely feel the same way.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) but you see its them and lies are ok
by Mark5019 / October 5, 2006 11:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Logical leap there...
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?