Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

Question

MultiPug.A

by Basil Hall / January 1, 2014 12:49 PM PST

Windows 7 Google Chrome.

Bit defender found 98 items of MultiPug.A.
It could not remove them and neither would Malwarebytes.

I am afraid to download any programs to fix this as I have found in the past that they sometimes make things worse.

Can anyone advise me of a safe program to fix this issue?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MultiPug.A
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MultiPug.A
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Here's a guide.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 2, 2014 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: MultiPug.A

All the programs on this are safe to use.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
MultiPlug.A
by Basil Hall / January 2, 2014 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: Here's a guide.

Where are the programs Dafydd. What galls me is that I got the damn thing by downloading Anvis Slim from cnet.

Collapse -
The steps to follow are all in the guide.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 2, 2014 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: MultiPlug.A

Downloading from download.com is fraught with danger. Just follow the guide and you should be OK.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
Sorry Basil.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 2, 2014 6:49 AM PST
Collapse -
MultiPlug.A
by Basil Hall / January 3, 2014 6:31 AM PST
In reply to: Sorry Basil.

Tried all the options. Some of the copies of the adware seemed to have been cleaned in my BitDefeder, while others were cleaned by some of the recommended cleaners. However 77 remain

I have contacted BD help, but no reply yet.

Collapse -
Try Griff's advice.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 3, 2014 6:34 AM PST
Collapse -
Forgot to mention.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 3, 2014 6:41 AM PST
In reply to: Try Griff's advice.

Although some of the cleaners are the same, R.kill.exe will stop any malware from running while you clean.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
MultiPlug.A
by Basil Hall / January 3, 2014 2:29 PM PST
In reply to: Forgot to mention.

Tried it all Dafydd, but there are still 77 MultiPlug.A there?????

Collapse -
How about...
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 2:12 AM PST

... a system restore to before you downloaded Anvis Slim.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
You tried to download Anvis Slim?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 6:45 AM PST

Basil..

You wrote, 'What galls me is that I got the damn thing by downloading Anvis Slim from cnet'

Are you saying you tried to download "Anvis Slim" and wound up with MultiPlug.A?

The reason I'm asking is because there's an Anvi Slim Toolbar included in C l o u d S y s t e m Booster. C l o u d S y s t e m Booster by A n v i s o f t, which purports to remove malicious toolbars included in Internet Explorer, Google Chrome and Firefox.

Note: I was forced to put spaces between the letters of the name of the company and the software. As a result of their spamming the forums, the filter prevents my post from showing otherwise.

The company has an "untrustworthy" reputation according to those at Web of Trust. Read an article by Brian Krebs "Infamous Hacker Heading Chinese Antivirus Firm?".

Before I get ahead of myself, it would help to know if I understood your post correctly. I'm in no way defending the fact download.com offered such software. Only trying to understand what happened.

Carol

Collapse -
Good read Carol.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 6:52 AM PST

The plot thickens.

Dafydd.

Collapse -
I had to try 4 times to get the post to show!!
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 6:56 AM PST
In reply to: Good read Carol.

And .... I had to leave the best part out. Grin

Collapse -
Answer
Is resetting Chrome out of the question?
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 3:13 AM PST
In reply to: MultiPug.A

Basil..

You said resetting Chrome helped remove Delta Search. Is there any reason you don't want to try it again? Unless, you have and it didn't work. Sad

If you know it was Anvis Slim you downloaded, you might want to see if the Revo Uninstaller finds any files. Or whatever it is that the 77 items consist of.

Dafydd mentioned previously, 'download.com is fraught with danger'. I agree! And I strongly suggest not downloading any software from there until (or unless) they change their practices. Just my personal opinion. Prior to their problems, I went straight to the developer's site when I wanted to download software.

Best of luck..
Carol

Collapse -
The neat trick
by itsdigger / January 4, 2014 7:09 AM PST

is to burn the programs to a disc or put them on a flash drive .

Have your operating system running in a Virtual Box and see whats being bundled .

If it's full of nasty's , don't install it into the Real Operating System, just Delete the Virtual Box and No Harm Done

Digger
P.S. Happy New Year Carol

Collapse -
(NT) Neat it is. HNY to 2 U 2 :)
by Carol~ Forum moderator / January 4, 2014 7:22 AM PST
In reply to: The neat trick
Collapse -
MultiPug.A
by Basil Hall / January 5, 2014 8:38 AM PST

I removed all the copies from my antivirus events in Bitdefender and did systems scan. It found nothing. An automatic scan has been done since and nothing has shown up.

I have a feeling It has been a glitch in Bit defender, although I still haven't heard from them. I will keep you informed.

Thanks for all your advice.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.