Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

Multiple Subfolder Creation

by elysenotelsie / January 24, 2008 3:16 AM PST

Common sense tells me there has to be a way to do this but I'm stumped. Using Microsoft Office (presumably 2003, not 2007) on the job. I'm trying to save myself A LOT of time here; I have to create one subfolder "Z" to be copied/inserted into several hundred other folders, all located within the same main folder "A". I could go into each folder and create a "Z" folder, but this could take a prohibitively long time. I'm convinced there's a direct command out there for simultaneous folder creation in multiple folders, but I have no clue where to start. Any thoughts? Or am I pipedreaming that Microsoft would ever be so considerate in the first place?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Subfolder Creation
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Subfolder Creation
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: multiple subfolder creation.
by Kees Bakker / January 24, 2008 5:26 AM PST

Sorry, no, this isn't a feature of Windows.

You can do it in the GUI, or write a batch file (with separate lines for all those several 100 folders) or spend a few hours (or more) to master VBscript and write a script to do it.

If there's any logic in the names of the several 100 folders, I think that writing a batch file would be the fastest way. Something like:

cd mainfolder
cd subfolder1
md Z
cd ..
cd subfolder2
md Z
cd ..
etc

Hope this helps

Kees

Collapse -
I love to hate Windows
by elysenotelsie / January 24, 2008 5:41 AM PST

Thanks! At least now I have somewhere to start. I'll see what I can pull off Happy

Collapse -
Thought...
by Papa Echo / January 24, 2008 6:03 AM PST

Windows do not like folders or files with the same names... hence the absence of any "support". It may save you a little time if you "copy" instead of "create", i.e. Use "Ctrl+C" once, then use "Ctrl+V" on each of the folders you want it copied to, rather than going to each folder and create a folder and name it "Z".
Using a batch file, you will need to write your 100's lines folder names. Either way, its time comsuming and take some effort. Maybe you need to think about why you need to copy the colder 100's times...

Collapse -
As is often the case-
by elysenotelsie / January 24, 2008 6:19 AM PST
In reply to: Thought...

I have to do the folder-creation because one of my bosses- who is not terribly bright or resourceful- has decided it must be so. This sort of thng happens a lot. Copying seems like a good idea tho.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.