Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Multiple Sound Cards In XP?

by the_real_martian / April 11, 2006 10:01 AM PDT

I have two soundcards, one onboard C-Media CMI8738, and one PCI Creative SuondBlaster Live!. I want to configure XP to use the C-Media Sound Card for my Desktop Speakers, and the SB Live! for my bookshelf stereo system, which I would use for watching movies and that sort of thing. I don't want to have to switch cables all the time, so can somebody please tell me how to use two soundcards simultaneously or refer me to some freeware application that would allow me to do this. <Note: There are no driver conflicts; these are two completely different sound cards. I just can't get XP to use both of them at the same time.>

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Sound Cards In XP?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Sound Cards In XP?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Create a 2nd hardware profile
by Darton Fury / April 11, 2006 10:35 AM PDT

Open system properties and click the hardware tab and then the hardware profiles button. You have to copy the existing profile to create another. Be sure to set the startup options for it so you will have a choice when starting your computer. Once created, you can enable/disable any hardware that you want specific to that profile. Google it if you need more info.

Collapse -
that's not difficult for you to do that
by kwokwai -space4english / April 11, 2006 5:49 PM PDT

You problem can be resolved by having two sound devices.

I have three sound cards also: one's got a brand-name as C-Media 5.1 channel converter; one's the onboard sound card, and
the third one the Sound Blaster Audigy 4.

I disable the onBoard sound card, and connects a 2.1 stereo the the C-Media, and 5.1 to SB Audigy 4.

5.1 stereo has become more reasonable, I mean the price. You may choose to buy one, US$60 should be enough.

Collapse -
Hardware Profiles?? How about...
by the_real_martian / April 12, 2006 5:45 AM PDT

I could just as eassily switch the primary sound card in the Audio Properties area. The point is, I want both sound cards to be in use simultaneously (at the same time). As I said, there are no drivers conflicts.

Collapse -
What application are you using?
by enTRAP / April 12, 2006 11:51 AM PDT

This all depends on what application you are using. Most end-user multimedia apps like Media Player or WinAmp are coded to use 1 audio output (usually the one selected as Primary) at a time without an option to change it.

There is a plugin available for Winamp on the Winamp site that allows you to use multiple outputs simultaneously . It's called "Multiple Output Plugin" and it works and is easy to set up. I do not know of any plugins for other simple multimedia software.

Other than that, I can only suggest HARDWARE. A Windows Media Center system is definitely worth checking out.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.