Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

multiple routers overlapping and interfering

by ramakrishnan_esm / August 16, 2006 2:42 AM PDT

I live in an apartment, and in the explosion of WiFi, i can usually detect up to 5 different routers. The result of this at times seems to be interference where some locations in my apartment never have connectivity to my router; despite only one thin wall and less than 20feet of distance between my laptop and my router. I have updated the router's firmware to the latest version, and have tried using different router channels to no effect.

I am using a Linksys WRT54GS router, and the laptop in question is an older (but still 802.11g) compaq 2200 series. When signal does reach the area in question, it is stong ( >36mbps ), so i believe interference is the issue.

Is there anything i can do to help alleviate this problem? I can single out the network which is causing the interfering, is there any way to selectively block that particular SSID? Any other suggestions?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: multiple routers overlapping and interfering
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: multiple routers overlapping and interfering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
similar problem of multiple routers
by gregstolerman / August 16, 2006 3:20 AM PDT

I just moved into a new place which has quite a few wireless routers. I have found that there my laptop is able to connect from all the rooms however the connection will be very flaky for an hour or two and then things will start working again. My router supports 802.11G but my laptop only supports 802.11B. One of the other problems is that my laptop has a tenendcy to hop to other open access points and even not "see" my access point. Is there a way of fixing this?

Collapse -
check for interference and/or upgrade the adaptor
by babareeba / August 16, 2006 3:39 AM PDT

If the problem is isolated to a single room, don't ignore the possibility of interference caused by other electrical equipmnent, such as wireless phones on the 2.4G band. And, try to get the antennas up as high as possible, with few/no obstructions (under the desk, next to the PC's metal enclosure is not good) You might also check to see if your WAP's transmisson strength can be tweaked. Finally, do a sweep of visible networks (using your wireless card's diagnostic tools) to see what stations the other ones [esp. the strong ones] are xmitting on. Try to get 6 channels of separation from them. Also, the wireless client card you're using can matter. Check around and get the best quality you can. As a last resort, consider a wireless card that has an external antenna, or get one of the USB wireless adaptors that has an antenna.

Collapse -
devices
by ramakrishnan_esm / August 16, 2006 3:53 AM PDT

No other devices between the touter and the laptop operate in the wireless realm.

How do i go about sweeping other routers signals? is that a diagnostic tool built into the windows wireless network setup? since the card in my laptop is and internal OEM i do not believe there is additional software beyond the windows standards.

I repeat, i have tried setting the router on ALL the different channels to no effect, and the router is on a cabinet about 5feet off the floor. All the networks my computer sees are WEP protected (so my computer wont try to connect to any but mine). The problem is that mine will faze in and out and be replaced by one specific other router.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?