Question

Multiple questions about using optical audio signals & HDMI

Ok, so I recently obtained a new Sony Bravia KDL55NX810 for next to nothing (horray!). As of yesterday, I picked up the 3d starter package on buy.com on sale.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: Multiple questions about using optical audio signals & HDMI
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: Multiple questions about using optical audio signals & HDMI
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
Clarification Request
Update to issue - new solution, still having issues. Help!

After pondering the solution a bit more, I changed the path I was going to take and instead did the following;

Hook Xbox 360, PS3, and DirectTV receiver into TV (KDL55NNX810) with HDMI 1.3 cables (so all should be able to pass 3d video).

Hook TV to receiver (Sony HT-SS360) with digital optical audio to pass audio to receiver.

When using the Xbox, my receiver indicates that I'm getting 5.1 channel sound, and I've verified this by listening to each speaker individually.

However, when I use the PS3, for 3D BD playback (Bolt, in this case), the receiver indicates that I'm only getting 2 channel audio, which I have verified. I've manually configured the audio outputs on the PS3's audio settings to ensure I'm outputting 5.1, and hitting 'info' during the 3d BD playback indicates that Dolby 5.1 is the audio track being played. I have not tested the DirectTV reciever.

So how do I get my BD's to play with 5.1 audio through the PS3, and why won't the PS3 output 5.1 audio if the Xbox 360 will?

- Collapse -
Answer
Sadly a side effect of HDCP.

Part of the HDCP "spec" is to degrade if the processing is not done on the first device. So you are running afoul of that. Do read all the complaints about this and good luck getting the industry to fix it.

Having save that, the usual fix is to go from player device to the HTIB and then to the HDTV. Any other path is perilous.

The HDTV may or may not pass along 5.1. Many feel this is busted but as long as we have HDCP there will be trouble.

As to the PS3, run the optical from that to the HTIB and switch as you go back and forth.

Do you get the feeling this needs an upgrade?
Bob

- Collapse -
Seems to only apply to some formats.

I originally had the optical going from the PS3 to the HTIB, but as I mentioned in the original post, I have 3 components that need to use the optical port on the HTIB, and there is only 1 port! In order to avoid having to add a component switcher (manual or not), I have to run all 3 components to the tv (to get 3d video since the HTIB won't pass 3d signal), and then from the tv to the HTIB (to get surround sound).

- Collapse -
Welcome to the land of DHCP.

This works, that doesn't, then does not but then it does and you are left with a mystery.

A good one I ran into is if I have an internet connection some titles fail or work and my thought is simply "what a mess."
Bob

CNET Forums