Computer Help forum

General discussion

Multiple No Page To Display Appearing

by Shirley Ray / January 20, 2006 1:46 PM PST

When I went to click out of a screen, all of a sudden a screen appreared saying "No page To Display" and then it kept multiplying. Got 53 of them, before I could get it to stop. Then I had to delete each one. When I got to the last 3, it started all over again, giving me multiple screens again. Does anyone know why this is happening? Is it a virus?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple No Page To Display Appearing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple No Page To Display Appearing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Run the scans...
by John.Wilkinson / January 21, 2006 12:52 AM PST

I'm assuming you mean you were encountering this problem while closing your internet browser, most likely Internet Explorer 6.0 since you're running Windows XP. With a never-ending stream of windows opening with either advertisements or blank pages, it could have been a simple glitch, you went to a malicious website, or you have been infected with malware. I'd suggest clicking here for a full list of anti-malware utilities. Be sure to run one virus scan and one online virus scan, and choose multiple adware and spyware scanners, including AdAware, Microsoft Antispyware, and SpyBot. Run each scan one at a time, and remove what they find. (Make notes of the names of the pests, as that can be a helpful piece of information if the problem is not remedied on the first try.) If something cannot be removed, they come back, or the problem is not solved, post back with what was found, as well as what site you were visiting at the time.

Hope this helps,
John

Collapse -
Been away, will check your suggestion
by Shirley Ray / January 24, 2006 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: Run the scans...

Thanks John. Sorry slow response back. Been away for few days. Will check your suggestion and let you know. Thanks again. Shirley

Collapse -
Shirely, Please Try This..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 21, 2006 12:55 AM PST

In addition to installing the newest Java per your other post, please download, install, update, then run ALL of the free spyware removal tools from the links below. They all tend to find different spyware types so use them all. It may take a while to run all the scans but it should help. Delete all spyware found.:

Ad-Aware

Collapse -
Been away, sorry slow response
by Shirley Ray / January 24, 2006 3:03 PM PST

Thanks Griff. Sorry slow response back. Been away for few days. Will check your suggestion and let you know. Thanks again. Shirley

Collapse -
Need Additional Help
by Shirley Ray / January 25, 2006 6:50 PM PST

Grif, I am experiencing additional problems. Have tried downloading the removal tools you recommended. They won't download. Something is blocking them. I turned off my firewall to see if it was that, but still won't download. Can you help me? Shirley

Collapse -
What happens when you try to download?
by TONI H / January 25, 2006 8:05 PM PST
In reply to: Need Additional Help

Do you get any error messages? Does the file download window appear but not give you options of where to save it?

There are multiple reasons for not being able to download, but we need some more information to know what to suggest you try.

Have you also tried to right click the download file and choose SAVE TARGET AS?

TONI

TONI

Collapse -
About Downloads
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 12:08 AM PST

After clicking on the download, i.e. Adaware SE... the screen changed and said download successful, but it does not give me an install screen or save or open or nothing, no error messages. Looked in Add/Remove Programs and it is not there either. Toni, this is happenening to all programs I have tried to use to remove these problems. I am at a mystery as to what to do or where else to look. Shirley

Collapse -
Shirley, See My Response To Your Other Post
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 26, 2006 1:10 AM PST
In reply to: About Downloads
Collapse -
Thanks Grif
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 4:25 AM PST

Went to link about the post you made in different forum and left you a post there. Thanks again. Shirley

Collapse -
Screen changed and...download successful
by Edward ODaniel / January 26, 2006 1:27 AM PST
In reply to: About Downloads

It is highly possible that you are indeed managing to download everything but just don't know where you have downloaded it to.

I haven't seen where you have mentioned the specific browser and setting up the default download location is different in each.

Since you mentioned Adaware try this:
Do a system search for the file aawsepersonal.exe and then also for cwshredder.exe if you tried downloading it (use the SEARCH function on the Windows XP Start Menu). If either is found take a careful look at the full path to the file and likely that is where all the rest of the downloaded files are located (the path will look something like C:\downloads\hidden from her\aawsepersonal.exe)

Double clicking on the found file will get the installation started.

Collapse -
Searched and found nothing
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 4:18 AM PST

Hi Edward, Thank you for the suggestion. Had not thought of that means of searching for a folder or file in long time. THANKS!!! However, after running both aawsepersonal.exe and cwshredder.exe through the search both came back with no results found. Going to check about that Zango and 180 solutions if there next. Shirley

Collapse -
Try this online scan..it's free
by TONI H / January 26, 2006 4:38 AM PST
http://uk.trendmicro-europe.com/enterprise/products/housecall_launch.php

If you need the newest version of Java at that site, you can get it from http://www.sun.com and click the FREE JAVA link on the right hand side. When you get to it, it will give you the opportunity to install it immediately without having to download it ahead of time.

The scan will find much (do a full system scan on all drives except the floppy and cdrom in case you have more than one harddrive or partitioning) and will get rid of what it can for you. If it tells you that there are some entries in the path of System Restore that it can't remove, you will have to disable that feature of windows and then run the scan again.

Without going back to the original post to see what version windows you have, I'm assuming XP....so to disable System Restore, right click the My Computer icon on the desktop, choose Properties, and you will find the System Restore tab there...uncheck it and click OK when you get the 'warning' window that all system restores will be removed. You can turn this feature back on once you're cleaned up.

TONI
Collapse -
Thanks Toni, still same problem
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 9:23 PM PST

I clicked on the link and it sat there with a blank screen for the longest time. Waited 15 minutes and gave up. Sorry. Going to try something that Grif posted in other forum, today with help of neighbor's computer. Thanks for caring to post. Shirley

Collapse -
Since that didn't work try this...
by Edward ODaniel / January 26, 2006 12:18 PM PST
http://safety.live.com/site/en-US/default.htm

It is a free online Microsoft scan and system cleanup.

It also has a link to Microsoft's Anti-Spyware which is another you should have installed.

Right now though, see if you can download this copy of cwshredder by RIGHT CLICKING ON THE LINK and selecting to ''Save Target As...'' and save it to some directory on your hard drive. It is a legitimate copy of cwshredder BUT you will have to be sure to SCAN IT with your AV before running it.
cwshredder version 2.19

If you can download that one by right clicking and selecting to save the target then we can make the others you need available to you. Be SURE to let us know immediately.
Collapse -
Thanks Ed
by Shirley Ray / January 26, 2006 9:29 PM PST

Ed tried to get the first link you posted about Microsoft scan to download, it wouldn't. However, did get the cwshredder to "save target as" on my harddrive. Scanned it right away. Don't need anymore nasty bugs.lol. Can I use it now by opening the saved one in my computer? I'm confused after trying so many things. Sorry. Shirley

Collapse -
Another file for you - IEFIX
by Edward ODaniel / January 27, 2006 5:17 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks Ed

download this one and scan and run it and there is a good chance it can fix your problem assuming you are using Internet Explorer.

IEFix.exe

(Same drill, right click on the link and select "Save Target As..." then scan then run.)

Collapse -
Got it saved
by Shirley Ray / January 27, 2006 7:31 AM PST

Thanks Ed, I saved it. Think I have the problems fixed at this point, except my Netzero(dial-up)was 3G and acting like the old standard version. SLOW in loading screens>lol. Getting DSL next Wednesday. Thanks for all your help.

Collapse -
Linked files are gone now
by TONI H / January 27, 2006 6:34 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks Ed

Rather than delete your post, Edward, and have the other replies to it be orphans, I posted a notice instead that the files are no longer available through your link. Thanks for the help and the heads up.

TONI

Collapse -
UPDATE and a question
by Shirley Ray / January 27, 2006 7:38 AM PST

Update: Run all the removal/scan tools you listed with help of neighbor. Cleaned up all the spyware, actual 6. Fixed the Java problem, now lastest version. Only one thing, my Netzero which was 3G, is acting like th old standard version. Oh well, next week, getting DSL. I can patient till then. Thanks again Grif. One question about Spybot: When the little screen pops up saying: Search & Destroy has detected an important registry entry has been changed. There is a section of that screen that has something on two buttons that can be clicked, I can not read (partially covered) what it says to make a decision about what it wants me to do. Can someone respond back quickly cause I have one up now. Thanks. Shirley

Collapse -
Shirley, I Turn That Option Off In Spybot
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / January 27, 2006 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: UPDATE and a question

If you'd like to see all the buttons from Spybot, you can either "drag" the window up so you can see them, or you can change the screen resolution to a higher number in the "Control Panel/Display" properties.

Personally, I use Spybot as a stand-alone scanner and I disable the "SDHelper" and "TeaTimer" like this..Open Spybot, the make sure it's in "Advanced" mode by click on "Mode" in the upper left, choose 'Advanced". Once that's done, click on the "Tools" tab on the left side, then UNCHECK both boxes next to "SDHelper" and "TeaTimer"..

Although these two tools can be helpful for advanced users, it sometimes can be a little confusing about their purpose until you figure out exactly how the machine is working for you. It's your choice.

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.