Computer Help forum

General discussion

Multiple Monitors

by jas2 / November 3, 2004 12:20 PM PST

I have a Gateway Solo 9500 laptop that I want to use 2 monitors with. Gateway tech said there is no way to do it. The ealier notebooks didn't support 2 monitors. I have it working with an external monitor. How can I use both screens for different views? I want to use the 1 to monitor something and the other to work on. Is there way to do it without buying a new laptop? Thank you for your advise.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Monitors
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Monitors
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Multiple Monitors
by Wellander / November 3, 2004 2:54 PM PST
In reply to: Multiple Monitors

Hi,
Is there a function key (FN) and a key with a monitor looking thing on it?
Look at your keyboard to find these.

Collapse -
by jas2 / November 3, 2004 10:31 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Multiple Monitors

There is not a monitor key on the keyboard. Gateway even told me that they don't have a new video card that we can buy to replace the old one with.

Collapse -
by Wellander / November 4, 2004 3:22 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Multiple Monitors

Hi,
Then maybe your laptop is not commpatable to do that.
Read the users and documation guides that came with it to see.

Collapse -
by HerbChong / November 14, 2004 10:10 AM PST

if you want them showing different things, you need a very special Cardbus video card and that is very expensive, about the same cost as your computer. only a few high end portables have it built-in and you will have to pay top dollar, easily over $3K.

Herb...

Collapse -
dual monitor device
by FirstHand / January 1, 2005 12:33 PM PST

Hi, I just read this message although it is a couple of months old but thought someone would still need the info I found. I wanted to do the same dual monitor setup with a laptop several months ago. I have not done it yet. I did however, find a device that proposes to accomplish the task. I have not used it nor am I affiliated with the company. It is supposed to cost around $100. It uses a USB port if I remember correctly. This is the link if anyone is interested. http://www.trittontechnologies.com/products/TRIUV100.htm

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!