Windows 7 forum

Question

Multiple Headaches

by IMScrubs / November 17, 2011 8:44 AM PST

Its been about two years since I've had my win7 PC. No software errors that annoyed me. Until now, that is, when aperently **** has hit the fan.
When trying to sign on to my normal account the error message: "The User Profile Service failed the logon. User profile cannot be loaded". So I went on the MS website and tried to fix it using the directions here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/947215
It wouldn't let me change the folder types as described in the guide. I don't know if it was because I wasn't on an admin account or what. So frustrated, I try to use my last resort: system restore. However, when I try to run system restore, I get the "Windows cannot find 'C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe'"
So can anyone help me out? If I could get system restore to work I'm sure I can get the other issue fixed. Any help is appreciated.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Headaches
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Headaches
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Can you use method 2?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 8:52 AM PST
In reply to: Multiple Headaches

" Log on to Windows and copy your data to a new account" is the typical fix for CORRUPT PROFILES.

However I can share that such OS damage is common if we force install what is thankfully a small list of outdated applications.

It's a shame you didn't tell the forum about your Windows 7 DVD. How I would use that does not apply to most PCs since they do not come with such a DVD. Instead we get to restore the machine to it's factory load AFTER we save our files.
Bob

Collapse -
Issue with new account
by IMScrubs / November 17, 2011 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Can you use method 2?

I can't make a new account because it bugs out after I enter the password to my only (and corrupt) admin account. And I don't have the win7 dvd.

Collapse -
Good NEWS!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2011 3:00 PM PST
In reply to: Issue with new account

I have yet to see any maker's PC come with Ultimate without the DVD. And since 99% of those running Ultimate had to pay for the product, even if they lost the DVD we can order a replacement for about 35 bucks.

I'd order the replacement media ASAP.
Bob

Collapse -
Found it
by IMScrubs / November 18, 2011 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: Good NEWS!

I found the win7 DVD. So are you reccomending I factory preset my PC?

Collapse -
No.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 18, 2011 6:10 AM PST
In reply to: Found it

I did recommend anything. I was writing that without the details about the Windows 7 DVD or restore media we can't start any discussion about this OS repair.

Now that we have the Windows 7 DVD, we have more options but have you tried SAFE MODE?
Watch http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d6zKj2iXL8

Since you don't have factory PC but the full Windows 7 DVD from Microsoft we have a lot more options to try.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

CNET FORUMS TOP DISCUSSION

Help, my PC with Windows 10 won't shut down properly

Since upgrading to Windows 10 my computer won't shut down properly. I use the menu button shutdown and the screen goes blank, but the system does not fully shut down. The only way to get it to shut down is to hold the physical power button down till it shuts down. Any suggestions?