Laptops forum

General discussion

multiple ghost images on screen

by archiearch / February 25, 2005 2:16 AM PST

I closed the lid on my hp pavillion laptop, opened it a few seconds later and there are now 3 images of the screen content. I downloaded the latest driver and the svideo out is fine, too. Seems like a hardware thing, right? Any ideas?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: multiple ghost images on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: multiple ghost images on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only if it sticks around after a full reboot.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 3:39 AM PST

If a full reboot cures it, it could be a defective driver that can't handle the lid closure and sleep.

Bob

Collapse -
Full reboot does not fix.
by archiearch / February 25, 2005 3:46 AM PST

I cannot get it to clear at all.

Collapse -
The usual issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2005 4:44 AM PST

1. The cable from laptop to LCD has failed.

I usually try to reseat such cables first, then start the order process for replacement cables. I used to "ring out" the cable with an ohmmeter but since time is money I learned to just order the cable and replace it.

2. If the cabel is replaced and it's still dead then a new or refurb motherboard is found.

Look to ikenfixit.com and notefix.com if you need service and its out of warranty.

3. Always try a KNOPPIX CD. Hint: Google about Knoppix since I will not respond to questions about what a KNOPPIX CD is. It's one of my best tools when I need a quick second opinion about hardware issues.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.