Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Multiple file search

by jmeister85 / October 1, 2009 10:23 AM PDT

Hello all! Happy this is my first post here Happy
I have bunch of files ~200k, and I want to search exactly 124 of them (xml files).
I indexed my files so search is now very fast, and in windows you can search for files with query like "somefile1.xml,somefile2.xml,...,somefilen.xml"
However, it seems that search is limited to 22 files only. I paste all of them into the search box (without the ""). So I have to make a search 22 files by 22 files, etc.
Is there any catch or tip on how this limit can be removed?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple file search
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple file search
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Are they all that same extension??
by Steven Haninger / October 1, 2009 7:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Multiple file search

If so, "wildcards" are your answer. Just search for *.xml and it should find all with that extension. Look up the other wild card options such as ? and their usage as well.

Collapse -
Every file is xml
by jmeister85 / October 1, 2009 9:54 PM PDT

Yes, all files, all of 190000+ are xml files
and their names are like 1506304.xml
So I must find 124 files exactly, but ok I can do it by consecutive searching of 22 files, but later I'll have to find maybe 1000 files, and so on...

Collapse -
So what's wrong with using *.xml ...
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2009 9:58 PM PDT
In reply to: Every file is xml

as suggested above?

More important, maybe, what do you mean with "finding"? And what do you want to do with them if you have found them? Let me guess: delete.

Kees

Collapse -
Again, all of them are xml :)
by jmeister85 / October 1, 2009 10:15 PM PDT

No, I do not want to delete them, I have a huge database of xml files downloaded from a site and I do not need all of them, only 5% maybe.

So, what's the point of *.xml when it returns all of those 190k xml files Happy
if i have e.g. a file 111.xml 567.xml and 240.xml
how can you search 567.xml with wild card? Happy (567 is just example it could be anything)
Now you know what I mean?
All I want is that limit of 22 files of multiple search in windows get removed, maybe with some command or something

Collapse -
Re: searching
by Kees Bakker / October 1, 2009 10:35 PM PDT

To search for 567.xml (and not get 111.xml and 240.xml) you search for 567.xml. That doesn't need a wildcard. So, no, it's still not clear what you want to search for.
Nor what the source is: a folder with 190.000 files?

And it's not clear what you would want to DO with the collection of 124 files if you've found them. Except that it is not to delete them.

Kees

Collapse -
Search
by jmeister85 / October 1, 2009 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Re: searching

In windows multiple files search you can get results by typing "somefile.ext,otherfile.ext" and get both of them in results, select them and copy where you want, unlike e.g. total commander multi-file search where you get results but you must get to files one-by-one. So, I have to use windows search (I searched for programs but with no success!).

Those files are organized in 100 dirs, 00,01,02...99. Each of them are ~8mb with 1900+ xml files.
I have a database for my site, with columns id,somename,blabla...,FileName.
That filename is a reference to xml file,and I would parse it since it contains lots of extra info. I won't put all of them into the site space because it's too big (1.4gb all of those xml files) and my upload is not that good.
Try it out by yourself. If you have lots of files somewhere, type in the search field 23 files, and you'll get only 22.
I have a list of 124 files, and have found them (22 by 22..) already, but now I have a list of 1000 files that I need to find.
Not just one (567.xml) but 1000!
I'm sorry for misunderstanding, but it's quite unique I know
If it's not clear yet tell me

Collapse -
Re: searching
by Kees Bakker / October 2, 2009 12:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Search

In this case, I would use the database (I assume it's a relational database) to select the files you need (via a join to a table with just the names you're looking for) and to write a batch file to copy them to another folder.

It's easier to search in a table in a database then to search through 100 folders.

Kees

Collapse -
Command lines, DIR, FINDSTR. Yup. No limits.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 1, 2009 10:28 PM PDT
In reply to: Multiple file search
Collapse -
Content
by jmeister85 / October 1, 2009 11:12 PM PDT

I don't need content of files, only files.
But thanks Happy you gave me an idea here.. Maybe search using command prompt, and automatically those files in search result copy to some location..
Do you know if this is possible?

Collapse -
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 2, 2009 12:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Content

But the command line is a skill. I can't give you this skill but there are tomes about what we can do with it.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!