Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

Multiple Blue Screens

I have an HP Pavillion 534w, Win XP SP2. I have worked alot on this system to remove a ton of viruses and trojan horses (thanks to my daughter). Now, after the clean up, I often receive the following Stop Messages:

0xD1, 0x7F, 0x24, 0x50, 0x8E, 0x0A or the following errors:

Driver_ not less than equal, IRQL_ not less than equal, win32k.sys, ndis.sys, ltmdmnt.sys.

How can I get my system back to normal, do I need to reinstall XP? I called my local Tech support center and they want to charge $229.00 for OS Service. Is this my only alternative. Please advise....

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple Blue Screens
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple Blue Screens
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: Multiple Blue Screens

In reply to: Multiple Blue Screens

Pherrise,

Have you seen these Microsoft Articles?

STOP:0xD1" Error Message When You Start Your Windows XP-Based Computer

You receive a STOP 0xD1 error message when you start your Windows XP-based computer

Windows Stops Responding with "Stop Error 0x7F" Error Message

Stop 0x0000007F or UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Is there a specific time when the errors occur? While on the internet?

Are you overclocking the CPU?

"Stop Errors" are NOT a good thing and they can be difficult to troubleshoot. The error codes you are receving indicate that there could be a number of things wrong with the software installation or hardware. It could be a faulty memory issue, motherboard problems, drivers files, or who knows what.

Have you tried doing a System Restore or did you disable it during the virus removals?

Do you have Recovery CD, or a Recovery Partition, which would allow you to reformat and reinstall the machine back to factory condition?

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -

In reply to: Re: Multiple Blue Screens

Yes, I have looked at all of the Microsoft articles regarding this and even though I am a bit technical, I feel like I am getting the run-around in trying to figure out the problem.

In response to your questions:

Is there a specific time when the errors occur?
--Usually after the system has been on all day and usually happens after 12 hours of constant on time.

While on the internet?
--More frequently while on the internet, but a few times when not.

Have you tried doing a System Restore or did you disable it during the virus removals?
--Yes, I did disable the System Restore while removing viruses. I also did a complete system restore a couple of times, still with the same problems.

Do you have Recovery CD, or a Recovery Partition, which would allow you to reformat and reinstall the machine back to factory condition?
--This HP system has a dedicated drive for system recovery. I have also tried that with no luck.

I am just prepared to break this system down for parts and just buy new.

Thanks for your help!!!

Collapse -
I'll take door #3

The clue that such happens after many hours of use is a clue your machine may be heat sensitive. There's a simple test that I perform to sniff this issue out.

I remove the case cover and try again.

Bob

Collapse -
Re: I'll take door #3

In reply to: I'll take door #3

I considered that, but I didnt know if the heat would cause THAT MANY errors...

I'll try it and let you know.

Thanks

Collapse -
Heat can cause a variety of errors.

In reply to: Re: I'll take door #3

In fact, the errors may be random and plenty. It's not fun for the owner since they go off and research each error and try to find a fix for it.

Bob

Collapse -

You mentioned
"Do you have Recovery CD, or a Recovery Partition, which would allow you to reformat and reinstall the machine back to factory condition?
--This HP system has a dedicated drive for system recovery. I have also tried that with no luck."

On most HP systems, there is a hidden partition with a disk image. Running the recovery cd will completely reformat your user partition and restores the factory image. Did you do this or this was not successful?

Collapse -
''Learn'' if you don't want to ''pay''.

1. The most important information about a blue-screen (STOP) error message that may not always provide conclusive answers and may only be a symptom of another problem is the "STOP code" (Click to see an example screenshot) followed by its four parameters. E.g.: 0x0000000 (STOP Code), (Parameter1, Parameter2, Parameter3, Parameter4) -- where any character in a parameter may be represented by any alphanumerical figure. Generally, you will find these parameters meaningless since the parameters (arguments) are not covered in any of the Microsoft Developer Network (MSDN) articles. They can be viewed only with a system which has a kernel debugger installed. However, the Common Stop Message which follows the parameters -- in most cases, and is the most meaningful information when discussing and pursuing the cause and correction of errors. For example, use information such as "Stop 0x0000000A or IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL". STOP messages typically fit into one of the four following categories:

a. STOP messages caused by faulty software occur when a driver, service, application, or system component introduces an exception. For example, an application or driver attempts to perform an operation above its assigned IRQL or tries to write to an invalid memory address. A STOP message might seem to appear randomly, but through careful observations, you might be able to associate the problem with a specific activity. Verify that all installed software in question is fully Windows XP Professional compatible and if not, locate and install the latest updates.

b. Installation STOP messages that occur during setup - For new installations, installation STOP messages typically occur because of incompatible hardware, defective hardware, or outdated firmware. During an operating system upgrade, STOP errors can occur when incompatible applications and drivers exist on the system.

c. STOP messages caused by hardware issues - Occurs as unplanned event due to defective, malfunctioning, or incorrectly configured hardware.

d. "Executive Initialization Stop" messages appear only during the relatively short Windows executive initialization sequence, generally before the Windows Logon dialog box. Please read the content of this TechNet article to glean an education concerning this subject.

Note: The article "Windows XP restarts when you try to shut down your computer (Q311806)" describes the process where many problems are experienced during startup that causes a STOP error message to appear but too briefly to record.

2. The article [Q314063] discusses how to troubleshoot the following Stop error that may involve steps for changing BIOS or CMOS settings -- and if so consult the documentation or contact the manufacturer, or that which may require physical changes to computer hardware. Note, however, that making either hardware or BIOS changes to a system may invalidate warranty. The parameters refer to the specific issues that are involved and include a host of items generally covered:

Parameter 1 - An address that was referenced improperly

Parameter 2 - An IRQL that was required to access the memory

Parameter 3 - The type of access, where 0 is a read operation and 1 is a write operation

Parameter 4 - The address of the instruction that referenced memory in parameter 1

Stop: 0x0000000A (parameter1, parameter2, parameter3, parameter4) IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL*** Address x has base at x - filename

3. As an additional troubleshooting option, you can configure your system to write an entry in the System Event Log when a STOP message occurs. To enable STOP message Event Log reporting:

a. In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, System, Advanced and then in the Startup and Recovery box, click Settings.

b. In System Failure, verify that the "Write an event to the system log" check box is marked.

4. When a STOP error occurs, Windows displays a STOP message related to the problem, followed generally by one of two events:

Windows XP Professional becomes unresponsive.

Windows XP Professional restarts your system.

a. If Windows restarts the system immediately after a STOP message you might not be able to record STOP message information quickly enough. You should disabling this behavior if you want to record STOP message details before using recovery options such as "Driver Rollback", "System Restore", or "Recovery" since this information could be helpful to analyze the root causes after addressing the symptom(s) of a problem. To disable unexpected restarts caused by STOP errors:

(1) In Control Panel, click Performance and Maintenance, System, Advanced and then in the Startup and Recovery box, click Settings.

(2) Click to clear the "Automatically reboot" (Click to see an example screenshot) check box.

b. Stop messages provide diagnostic information, such as STOP codes and driver names which can be used to help resolve problems. However, STOP information disappears when a computer is restarted. Therefore, when one is displayed record that information for future reference. When a STOP message appears, do the following before restarting the system:

(1) Write the darn thing down for later reference.

(2) Record and evaluate suggestions in the Recommended user action section (STOP messages typically provide troubleshooting tips relevant to the error).

(3) Check the STOP message Debug port and dump status section to verify that XP successfully dumped memory contents to the paging file.

Note: After resolving the problem, or you're at least able to start the computer, find and copy the memory dump file to another location, such as removable media, for further evaluation. When a STOP error occurs, XP generally writes information to the paging file (Pagefile.sys) on the systemdrive root by default and analyzing any dump files may help provide more information concerning the cause. For instance, look for anything in the systemroot\Minidump folder such as Memory.dmp or Sysdata.xml .

5. ARMED with the "STOP" code information (Click to see an example screenshot), go to "Microsoft Help and Support" and search for known issues. Enter the STOP code (Example: Stop 0x00000074 -- leaving off the colon after the word "stop" and only the next ten alphanumerical characters) in the search box at the top left. Either press Enter or click the GO button. Please note that the information recorded for an Event Example: Error code 00000050 (parameter1 82dcc596, parameter2 00000000, parameter3 805208c1, parameter4 00000000) is nothing more than a "stop".. Exceptions for "Events", similar to c00000005 may be searched also. Simply enter the exception code as displayed on the popup window, and then press Enter. However, you may find that the error you're using may not be found if no articles have been written. Please read "How to Gather Information After a Memory Dump in Windows XP (Q314084)" and note the item BugCheckCode which is in essence, a "STOP" error.

Note: If results are forthcoming, be advised the reference may not state the article was written for WinXP. Many of the library articles have not yet been updated.

6. "Common STOP" error messages discussed in the Microsoft TechNet library. In the left window frame, click the particular STOP item interested.

7. The article [Q314084] describes how to gather more information about an error message that appears on a blue screen. Note that these steps do not always provide conclusive answers and may only point you to another problem. Using Pstat.exe, a Resource Kit utility run from the command line, you are given a picture of the processes and drivers that are currently running. By using the starting address in the "LoadAddr" column, you can match the exception address to the driver name nearest and is most likely the driver that called the exception. With this information, you can go to the MSKB library to look for known issues matching the situation.

8. Supplemental reading:

a. "Blue Screen Preparation Before Contacting Microsoft (Q314103)."

b. "How to Troubleshoot STOP Error Messages After Enabling Advanced Power Management (Q237673)."

c. "HOW TO: Configure Recovery Techniques in Windows XP (Q307973)."

d. "HOW TO: View and Manage Event Logs in Event Viewer in Windows XP (Q308427)."

e. "How to Troubleshoot a Stop 0xC0000218 Error (Q314874)."

f. "Troubleshooting "Stop 0x00000077" or "KERNEL STACK INPAGE ERROR" (Q315266)."

9. Please review the troubleshooting information at the "WinXP Home Startup" site concerning STOP errors and possible resolution. Click "here" concerning WinXP Pro, which is a lot more thorough.

Collapse -

Thanks to everyone!! My error issues turned out to be because of heat. My system has been running flawlessly for 48 hours straight without an error.

Thanks for helping save money!! Happy

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

REVIEW

Sublime suburban chariot

High on style and technology, the 2019 Volvo XC90 is an incredibly satisfying everyday crossover.