Computer Help forum

General discussion

Multiple audio CDs on to DVD

by breezy55417 / August 14, 2007 10:39 AM PDT

I have an audio presentation on 3 cds. I'm wondering if I can combine them on a DVD? Does Multi-session work when recording DVDs? Can I add do an ISO file?

If this is possible,what do I need and how do I go about this?

I'm running XP media center and have a number of burning softwares, IMG burn, DVD Decryptor, DVD Shrink and others.

I also need to know what a MDS file is?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multiple audio CDs on to DVD
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multiple audio CDs on to DVD
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) mdf and mds files are frequently seen on torrent networks
by PudgyOne / August 14, 2007 10:42 AM PDT
Collapse -
No
by Jackson Douglas / August 14, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

Unless you're planning on converting the CD audio tracks to some other format, you can't just put them onto a DVD. There would be very few CD players that would be able to figure out what to do with the resulting disc.

If you have access to a CD player that also supports MP3 files, you could probably manage to fit all 3 CDs worth of content onto a single DVD.

And MDS files are a type of archive file, similar to ISO, only containing some of the extra metadata that ISO doesn't handle. I think it's Alcohol 120% that creates such files, but don't quote me on it. While they may often be found in illegal pirated CD/DVD images, they also can be made up of perfectly legal backups of your own CD/DVD collection.

Collapse -
Can you tell us more
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / August 14, 2007 6:56 PM PDT

about what you require?

You say you have an audio presentation on 3 CDs. I'm intrigued because if you can't get them all onto one CD then that would seem to be a very large audio file. CDs typically can store 650 - 700 MB of data, and if you take a standard 3 minute song track that would be around 3 - 4 MB in size, maybe more depending on quality.

So an audio track that fills a CD would, I guess, be around 180 minutes, or 3 hours. If you have 3 such CDs, then that's a 9 hour audio presentation.

Is that the case? If so, why do you need the presentation stored onto a DVD? There are plenty of audio splitters and joiners around that would allow you to merge the 3 audio tracks together. You would need to copy them to a hard disk first. Or if you don't want them merged, just burn the 3 tracks from the hard disk to a DVD as 3 separate data files. But like Jackson says, they won't be able to be played in any DVD player except a computer's DVD Rom.

Why do you want to add to an ISO file?

I'm not sure of the significance of your question about MDS files in relation to the above. Any reason for that question?

Mark

Collapse -
audio cd capacity is 74 or 80 min
by ramarc / August 14, 2007 10:41 PM PDT
In reply to: Can you tell us more

unlike dvd's, whose capacity is based on the compression ratio of the content, cd audio is not compressed and thus fixed. standard cd media is either 74 or 80 minutes. some recorders can over-burn a few more minutes of content but some players may not be able to handle it.

as for the user's question, why not just convert the presentation to MP3s?

Collapse -
You want to carry 1 dvd instead of 3 cd?
by ahtoi / August 15, 2007 1:04 AM PDT

Corel's (Ulead burn.now 1.5 can do that). I believe Nero also has such program but I forgot the name.

If fidelity is not the concern then mp3 would do just as well.

mds file are for cross checking the main download files (if you don't want cross check then you don't need it)..

Collapse -
Copying 3 CDs of audio anto 1 DVD
by breezy55417 / August 19, 2007 1:35 PM PDT

Yes Thank You,

It is 3 CD's of the reading of a book (Audiobookish)combined onto 1 DVD because of its higher compacity.
I probably should convert the files to MP3 to put them on 1 DVD. I just wasn't sure how it is done. I need to read up on some of the software I have related to burning audio files to figure what will do the trick.
Some one else mentioned Nero which I have but have not worked with very much.

I'm working on a new computer which I 'm still trying to find and understand everything that is bundled with it.

MDS - I was confusing my video files and Audio. I'm getting an ISO and mds file when I use a program to back up a DVD.

Thanks to all that responded.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GIVEAWAY

We are giving away 'Black Panther' swag!

Four lucky readers will be taking home *Marvel*ous "Black Panther" prizes, including magazines autographed by the King of Wakanda himself! Giveaway ends Feb. 25, 2018.