HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

Multimedia Calculations

by JamieMulti / May 9, 2008 6:44 PM PDT

Hey, not sure if this is the right forum for this but its multimedia so here goes...

I am currently going through past exam papers and have a couple of questions that I'm not sure about (and un-usefully the solutions have not been provided by our lecturer...). If anyone could answer these and explain how they do it it would be great. Or even if you just explain how to do them.

(1)A particular presentation includes a streaming movie clip that plays in a 320 x 240 pixel window at a rate of 2400Kbps. The movie file size is 1080KB and the size of the rest of the presentation is 120KB. Assuming that the player can start as soon as a sufficient amount of the file has been buffered, how long must a viewer wait before the clip can play without interruption if the presentation is delivered:

(i) via a 28800bps modem link?
(ii) via a 64Kbps ISDN channel?
(iii) via a 500Kbps broadband connection?
(iv) direct from a 2x CD-ROM?

(2)You have been given a colour camera to take some still images for use in a computer-based presentation. The camera sensor is described as having 7 million pixels and a 4:3 aspect ratio.

(i) Calculate the nominal data size of each image if it were to be captured in an uncompressed, bit-mapped format.

Thank you very much if you can help at all!
Jamie

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multimedia Calculations
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multimedia Calculations
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
As a rule...
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / May 10, 2008 6:07 PM PDT

Although there is nothing in Forum Policies that prevent members from helping, as a general rule we avoid helping people with exams, revision, school/college/term/homework, etc.

You may find such an attitude harsh, and others who have done so previously would state they they can go elsewhere on the internet and find the answers.

That's as may be, but the situation is this;

If you are doing some sort of study, whether there is an exam and qualification at the end of it or not, the educating authority in the form of the teacher or tutor will have ensured that they have provided you with sufficient information and/or resources during the course to enable you to find answers to any questions set.

It therefore defeats the object to ask others to provide the answer for you. I am sure your tutor will willingly help you with any problems you come across, and point you in the right direction.

Sorry.

Mark

Collapse -
Quiz
by snapshot2 Forum moderator / May 11, 2008 12:48 AM PDT
In reply to: As a rule...

Mark is giving you good advice, because the real world answer to question number two is probably not what your tutor is looking for.

I would think he wants the theoretical answer.

If you took a digital camera and put it in TIFF mode and took a picture. When you look at the file size, it will be a little less than the theoretical answer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.