HolidayBuyer's Guide

Audio & Video Software forum

General discussion

multimedia audio controller

by myghty1 / February 20, 2008 12:18 AM PST

need some help, friends. i'm on the job and i have a dell 4300s that's giving me trouble. silly thing is from the service tag config on dell.com it came with XP home but now has 2000 prof.

the multimedia audio controller has a splat in the device manager. and i cant for the life of me get the correct one. could it be the fact that it's 2000 running on box and devices meant for XP? or should i still be able to use a driver either for XP or 2000.

here are the specs from dell. dell's parts descriptions need to be more thorough. htf is (...) supposed to help me?!

1 0M075 PRINTED WIRING ASSY..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., AUDIO..., 4300S
1 1K670 PROCESSOR..., 80531, 1.7G, 0, 400FSB, SOCKET N..., D0
1 0M075 PRINTED WIRING ASSY..., PLANAR (MOTHERBOARD)..., AUDIO..., 4300S
1 079YY MODULE..., DUAL IN-LINE MEMORY MODULE..., 256, 133M, NON-ECC
1 68KYG MODULE..., FLOPPY DRIVE..., 1.44M, NEC CORPORATION..., DIMENSION..., CHASSIS 2001...
1 9J729 MODULE..., HARD DRIVE..., 40GB, I, 7.2K, CHASSIS 2001..., SEAGATE SNOWMASS...
1 7K802 MODULE..., CARD (CIRCUIT)..., GRAPHICS..., ATI TECHNOLOGIES INC..., 32M, LOW PROFILE..., DIMENSION...
1 3E026 MODULE..., MODEM..., V92, STEEL 2..., SOUND..., DIMENSION...
1 0172X MODULE..., COMPACT DISK DRIVE..., 48X, I, 5.25" FORM FACTOR..., SAMSUNG..., DIMENSION..., CHASSIS 2001...
1 2296W MODULE..., COMPACT DISKETTE..., DELL-APPS, BACKUP..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 6F062 MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., WINDOWS XP HOME..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., DIMENSION..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 0M458 MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., AOL-6.0/D-NT, WINXP, ASSET RECOVERY BUSINESS...
1 90729 MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., INFORMATION..., NEW TECHNOLOGY FILE SYSTEM...
1 36HFF MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., WKS-STE2K1, ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR...., ENGLAND/ENGLISH...
1 0J793 MODULE..., SOFTWARE..., NORTON ANTIVIRUS 2002..., ORIGINAL EQUIPMENT MFGR...., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., UNITED STATES...
1 5D509 MODULE..., KEYBOARD..., 104, UNITED STATES..., SILITEK..., DIMENSION..., MIDNIGHT GRAY...
1 2M449 SHIP GROUP..., TRANSFORMER JAZZ DESKTOP..., 4300S, UNITED STATES..., UNITED STATES..., ENGLAND/ENGLISH..., DELL AMERICAS ORGANIZATION...
1 2E161 MODULE..., MOUSE..., PERSONAL SYSTEM 2..., 2BTN, LOGITECH..., DIMENSION..., MIDNIGHT GRAY...

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: multimedia audio controller
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: multimedia audio controller
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What I suspect is
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 12:22 AM PST

That it did come with XP Home but the workplace had a windows DOMAIN network and instead of popping for XP Pro they just installed an old trusty Windows 2000. Just like any version of windows you head to dell.com for the drivers. Install the motherboard drivers first then the audio driver.

Bob

Collapse -
thanx for the reply
by myghty1 / February 20, 2008 1:53 AM PST
In reply to: What I suspect is

the network is a assortment of xp pro boxes and 2000 boxes. for some reason this box was reverted to back to 2000. anyway, the box was already up and running and i had previously been on dell.com downloading drivers for video and audio drivers according to the service tag. but none of them are working. it's like 30 of them. so i'm looking for a direct resolution. just wondering if i could be directed to the specific one for a "multimedia audio controller"
i would need another motherboard driver when the box is in usable?

Collapse -
That's why I noted the chipset driver FIRST.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2008 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: thanx for the reply
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.