General discussion

multicast stream filtering

I have a Netgear JGSM7224 model switch.it is connected with Cisco switch &coming 21 multicast streams.i want to take a single multicast stream from any port of Netgear switch.What i do ?

21 different multicast coming to net gear JGSM 7224 switch.
but i need to filter only one multicast stream from any port of the switch.

Discussion is locked
Follow
Reply to: multicast stream filtering
PLEASE NOTE: Do not post advertisements, offensive materials, profanity, or personal attacks. Please remember to be considerate of other members. If you are new to the CNET Forums, please read our CNET Forums FAQ. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Reporting: multicast stream filtering
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Comments
- Collapse -
This one might be easy.

As streams are on demand, you place the client on that port and it will take a single stream as you wish.

While you didn't ask, I wonder if you are aware how "switched hubs" work. That is, if there is no demand for content, the content is not going to be sent.

Bob

- Collapse -
IGMP

What you need to do is enable IGMP snooping on the switch.

The switch should then monitor the IGMP messages between the end devices and the router and only send the multicast to ports that have active listeners on it.

Now if you mean you have multiple feeds on the same exact multicast group address then your equipment must support IGMP v3. This lets the client request only traffic from a particular source address. Either your switch has this ability or it does not. All the setting and filtering is done in the PC application.

The cisco switch should also have IGMP on so if nobody wants a feed it does not send any traffic to the netgear

CNET Forums