Linux forum

General discussion

Multibooting with Linux

by 2200369377273106477909636 / January 24, 2008 3:39 AM PST

I have an HP DV6449us Notebook PC with Windows Vista Home Premium, AMD processor, 2gb RAM, NVidia Graphics. I own Windows XP Professional, which I can successfully install next to Vista for a great dual-boot setup. I also own Windows Vista Business. I'm curious as to whether or not I can triple-boot?

And computer seems to have a problem with Linux. Of course, as you might've guessed, I want to add Linux to the multi-boot setup as well. The Knoppix live cd runs flawlessly, but the Ubuntu both x86 and 64bit editions do not load. I cannot seem to get a running GUI. Linux starts loading, and then goes to a black screen and stops. No live cd or direct install for Ubuntu or Linux Mint. Pooey.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multibooting with Linux
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multibooting with Linux
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Live and Install
by welrdelr / January 24, 2008 5:59 PM PST

Ubuntu isn't the only distro available, it's the most popular among beginners.
You'll need to shrink your partition with the knoppix cd to make room for an install.
Try downloading and burning a Fedora live CD and a Debian net install cd.
The fedora will be easy to install.
Debian is one I have covered on another post here.
SuSE is another that may work for your box.

64bit is a live dvd and a net install.

Collapse -
Alright
by 2200369377273106477909636 / January 25, 2008 1:21 AM PST
In reply to: Live and Install

Thank you very much. I'll see what I can do.

Collapse -
Downloading
by 2200369377273106477909636 / January 25, 2008 3:18 AM PST
In reply to: Alright

I'm downloading OpenSuse 10.3, the 64bit DVD. I hope this works

Collapse -
Success with Vista not Linux
by 2200369377273106477909636 / January 28, 2008 3:01 PM PST
In reply to: Downloading

I didn't successfully get a quad boot with Linux, but I am quite content with my triple boot. For anyone who is interested, I installed Windows XP next to my pre-installed Vista Home Premium, and used Vista Boot Pro to manage the bootloader, then I installed Vista Business. WIndows XP is on an extended and logical partition whereas the two vistas are on a primary partition each.

Collapse -
partitons
by welrdelr / January 29, 2008 9:50 AM PST

You can have up to four primary partitions.

Collapse -
Yeah
by 2200369377273106477909636 / January 29, 2008 5:12 PM PST
In reply to: partitons

Yeah, and each of the Vista's took up a partition, and then my HP Recovery Feature takes up a partition, and the extended + logical counts as one, so to try Linux, I deleted the extended + logical, and then installed linux, but it would freeze when booting, so I just scratched the idea and reinstalled the extended + logical partition for windows xp

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 51,912 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,498 discussions
icon
Laptops 20,411 discussions
icon
Security 30,882 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 21,253 discussions
icon
Windows 10 1,672 discussions
icon
Phones 16,494 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,855 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 15,504 discussions

REVIEW

Meet the drop-resistant Moto Z2 Force

The Moto Z2 Force is really thin, with a fast processor and great battery life. It can survive drops without shattering.