TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

multi-view HDMI switch - advice needed - how to???

by zigman316 / September 11, 2012 4:43 AM PDT

I'm trying to hook up two new HD camcorders (mini-HDMI outputs), a regular f-connector cable TV signal, and possibly a network camera (thru a PC?) to a single HDTV. I could really use some input on what type of switch is needed. We also want to view all feeds at once (in a quad-view type setting). I've seen some switches out there with multi-view capabilities but they are either way too expensive or only have bnc type connectors, which I don't believe are HD.

We'd like to keep these signal as Hi-Def as possible (The TV is only 720p but we may upgrade that if needed...)

Also, on related topic - The two camcorders need to run about 100' and 50' respectively. I currently have on order two long HDMI cables, several short ones, two HDMI signal boosters, and various adapter fittings... But I'm still at a loss on how to get what I'm after... I'll try to post a pdf diagram of what I need if I can figure that out...

Is this the right forum for this feed?
Please help... Thanks!

zigman316 has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: multi-view HDMI switch - advice needed - how to???
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: multi-view HDMI switch - advice needed - how to???
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by zigman316

Collapse -
Sounds like a home brew CCTV?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 5:01 AM PDT

It's a shame more wasn't revealed. You find folk try this only to discover the camcorders auto shutoff and blow the would be CCTV design out of the water.

OK. With that out of the way and keeping in mind I've been in the design world of CCTV for over a decade (I won't bore you with how long) this is not cheap to do. The old standard def stuff is much cheaper and easy to find but you have stepped into HD which currently is running about 100x the costs. Are you sure you can afford this?
Bob

Collapse -
No home brew... I work in a R&D lab environment
by zigman316 / September 11, 2012 6:05 AM PDT

Basically we will have these cameras set up inside an x-ray hutch with the feed coming outside to the TV monitor. We'd like to monitor the movement of a bunch of tiny stages with better clarity... My ignorance is more in the requirements for a Hi-Def signal to run all the way into the TV... I think you can only run an HDMI cable so far without the need of a signal booster(?).Thus I was spending the money on that stuff. I also bought a 3-way HDMI switch before I realized it did not split the pictures like our old BNC multi-view splitter does. We used that for some older SD camcorders...

I've since seen some devices that deal with HDMI over a Cat5e/6 cable??? I'm thinking it might be better to splurge on one of those (~$2500?) if that will eliminate the need for the boosters and long HDMI cables, which ran about $500 total... Can you run a HD signal from a camcorder over Cat5E? or even a BNC cable via some adapters? Is all of this overkill since our TV is only 720p?

As it stands, With my current gear already on order, I'm trying to find a basic mutli-view HDMI switch but all I can find are fancy ones... I did find a KVM switch HERE that would be perfect if I knew it would work with camcorder inputs vs pc inputs. Any experience with those?... Or is THIS something that will carry a Hi-Def signal over BNC?

BTW, thanks for the heads up - I do believe our new camcorders can disable the auto-shutoff feature...

Collapse -
At 100' iffy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 6:29 AM PDT

Let's find some (cheap) HDMI over ethernet (more specifically, twisted pair ready to use cables).

http://www.amazon.com/Tripp-Lite-P167-000-Active-Extender/dp/B001CJ9392 finds it fast enough and page down to see the under 20 buck things.

I would never go past a few 10's of feet with just HDMI no matter if it was 720p or other. Just begging for trouble.

To get HD signals onto a HD display is going to require a pretty expensive video processor.
http://www.rgb.com/products/QuadViewHD/

In our lab we had to tie up the engineering manager that wanted to get a quad video processor (HD) and then installed a quad set of displays on a display tree. http://www.amazon.com/Quad-Monitor-stand-Fully-adjustable/dp/B001HHNRFK UNDER 90 bucks! And with smaller HD displays for 120 bucks each, we were done for much less than any HD video processor.
Bob

Collapse -
Now we're talking!...
by zigman316 / September 11, 2012 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: At 100' iffy.

Was just showing my manager what we're up against and we also thought of using 4 smaller monitors in lieu of the larger TV and splitter/processor. That may be the way to go... We can probably achieve what we want for about $1000 all told... I've read that the HDMI over Ethernet needs to be over solid wire Cat5e or 6. Is that correct? Or are you saying we can achieve the same HiDef signal with the twisted pair Cat5e lines that we already have run?

I did plug our new HD camera up to the TV directly with the HDMI cable supplied and there is no comparison to that vs the composite video input. Thus, we're really anxious to get the HD feed all the way to our TV/monitors with as little signal loss as possible...

FYI, I like the reviews of THIS product better than the $20 items...

I appreciate your help, Bob! Happy

Collapse -
Nice choice on the HDMI over cat5/6.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2012 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Now we're talking!...

What I was showing was the cat5/6 HDMI things have plummeted in price. The ONLY reservation I have is when your engineers make their own cable. How many times have you found them pairing it like this -> 1,2 3,4 5,6 and 7,8? They always do that the first or second times. Most learn this is not right and if you have a great engineer they just use a pre-made cable.

Thanks for the chat. I hope you see what the issues were and good to see you taking this easier solution.
Bob

Collapse -
I'll make it myself...
by zigman316 / September 12, 2012 2:30 AM PDT

If I can't find a suitable pre-made...

Again, bear with me for a moment... I'm assuming that two 8-pin RJ45's are needed since an HDMI has 19 pins, and HDMI over Ethernet uses up to 16 of them??? Can this be achieved with two simple 100' 24AWG stranded patch cords? To achieve the best Hi-Def resolution what are your recommendations regarding solid vs stranded? 24AWG vs 26AWG? Shielded vs non? Does it matter that we don't really need the audio signals?

The reason I ask is I saw a 100' Cat5e dbl shielded 24AWG solid patch cord at L-com for about $150. Two of those would make it more economical to just run a single 100' HDMI cord with a booster. Whereas I can get a 100' Cat6 unshielded 24AWG stranded patch cord for only $50 each... I'm curious how the signal would differ between those setups...

Thanks again,
Ray

Collapse -
Sorry but I've learned to buy simple 100' pre-mades.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 2:35 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll make it myself...
Collapse -
Good deal. thanks for all your help!!!
by zigman316 / September 12, 2012 2:57 AM PDT
Grin
Collapse -
I didn't answer your question about all of them.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 12, 2012 3:11 AM PDT
In reply to: I'll make it myself...

Sorry but while that would be interesting from an engineer's view, we had to get this done fast to avoid it going to committee and escalating to such costs that it would never get done. So using off the shelf cables and extenders it was done in 3 days (Amazon shipped it in 2, then 1 to setup.) By the time the dust cleared it was up and working.

I'm sure you know the term "analysis paralysis."

We too have a building full of engineers so they can always suffer from that and over analysis yet most of them will use the elevator without a full analysis of how it works, what was used and which systems do what.

I used links to Amazon to show that this stuff is now off the shelf. It wasn't that easy just a few years ago.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.