Computer Help forum

General discussion

Multi Monitor

by REALPUNK105 / April 2, 2011 4:14 AM PDT

Hi Everyone,

I have two monitors which I want to use on my pc, the pc has a on-board graphics card and a separate graphics card, so it lets me plug both monitors into it. However I am unable to get the second screen working which uses the on-board graphics card.

I am running Windows 7 - 32bit

Just wondered if anyone can tell me how to fix this, even if it means dropping the computer back to XP as I really don't mind which version of Windows I use.

Thanks everyone.

Paul

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multi Monitor
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multi Monitor
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I'm looking
by Jimmy Greystone / April 2, 2011 4:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Multi Monitor

I'm looking at your post, and no matter how many times, or in what way, I can't seem to find any details regarding what you've done to try and resolve this on your own or what exactly the problem is aside from a generic "it doesn't work".

Collapse -
I read your post
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Multi Monitor

And can't find make, model and details to offer much else other than to have a tech friend look at it for you to see if you forgot a driver or step.
Bob

Collapse -
Ok, Re-write
by REALPUNK105 / April 2, 2011 7:36 AM PDT
In reply to: I read your post

I have a computer that an old friend made me years ago, it has a WinFast 760GXK8MC Motherboard with on-board graphics card (not sure what that is called) it also has another graphics card which is a NVIDIA GEFORCE FX5500 which my original monitor is plugged into.

I have attached another monitor to the on-board graphics card but it doesn't seam to work, I have searched Microsoft's web site for details on how to switch to a multi-monitor mode, which advised holding the Windows key and then pressing P will let me change the mode.

I have tried this but have had no results other then the original monitors screen been doubled in width.

I have also used Screen Resolution to see if I can get that to recognise the second screen. At first it said there was no other monitor detected but when I did the first step again (windows key + P) it showed a second screen and asked me how I want the second monitor to appear i.e. Show desktop on screen 1 only.

I have tried all the options it gave but there is nothing coming up on the second screen.

Monitor 1 - is an acer AL1914
Monitor 2 - V7 Videoseven - is all it says on the box.

I hope this information helps, and sorry about not putting this much detail before

Thanks

Paul

Collapse -
Which board?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 7:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Ok, Re-write

760GXK8MC-ERS
760GXK8MC-RS
760GXK8MC
760GXK8MC-RSH

Since I never saw the fx5500 in anything but AGP I have a guess. From memory all the onboard units didn't support both onboard and AGP cards at the same time.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Bob
by REALPUNK105 / April 2, 2011 8:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Which board?

Hi Bob,

Just checked and it just says 760GXK8MC - on the disc that came with the motherboard it has drivers for both VGA and AGP, but the disc is not compatible with Windows 7. This computer is around 4 years old now and was origonally made for Windows XP. The only thing I have upgraded on it was RAM.

Thanks

Paul

Collapse -
Looks grim.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 8:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Bob

You may have to settle for "what works." While you could try other drivers, without exact details on the board I will not be looking for drivers today. You can use EVEREST (see google for last free version) to see what you can find.

That FX5500 was a pain of a card. I'd not hold up much hope it will behave.
Bob

Collapse -
Reply to Bob
by REALPUNK105 / April 2, 2011 10:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Looks grim.

I'm not sue what info is required as I have never used this software before, but all I can find about hte on-board graphics is:

Graphics Controller type - sis Mirage 2
Graphics Controller staus - Disabled

It also says the other graphics card is AGP, I wasn't aware of that so thanks for telling me about this program its brilliant.

If I can't fix it this way can you recomend any dual graphics cards that I can get installed on this motherboard?

Thanks

Paul

Collapse -
That matches what I knew from AGP days.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 2, 2011 10:27 AM PDT
In reply to: Reply to Bob

You could only have one AGP attached video. I'm leaving it to you to finding drivers. At least you found the video chip. Armed with that you could try google for Windows 7 drivers for that.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

The Samsung RF23M8090SG

One of the best French door fridges we've tested

A good-looking fridge with useful features like an auto-filling water pitcher and a temperature-adjustable "FlexZone" drawer. It was a near-flawless performer in our cooling tests.