Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

Multi-Core Processing

by ah_javadi / November 3, 2008 12:42 PM PST

Hello everyone,

One question about Multi-Core and Mulit-Processor machines. It is the duty of the operating system to make use of all the cores and CPUs? or it is the duty of the running application? And which one should optimize this task?

Thanks,
Amir

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Multi-Core Processing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Multi-Core Processing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Both
by Jimmy Greystone / November 3, 2008 12:52 PM PST
In reply to: Multi-Core Processing

Both is the answer to your question. The OS has to be aware of multiple cores/CPUs before an app can make use of them.

But after that, the answer depends on what kind of utilization you mean. Because there's different approaches to this problem. For example, there's load balancing, which tries to evenly distribute the load across all cores/processors. Then there's a spillover method, where once one core reaches its capacity, everything "spills over" to the next core/processor.

Generally speaking, it seems to have fallen on individual application makers to really take advantage of this, but at the same time I think OS makers could be doing more. The ill fated BeOS was really about 10 years too early. The most impressive feature of BeOS was that it was fully multi-threaded from top to bottom, and something like that on today's multi-core systems would be a truly spectacular sight to behold. Unfortunately, doing that to any existing OS would basically require a complete top to bottom rewrite. A huge undertaking. So, app vendors are generally left to do what they can, and hope that the spiritual successor to BeOS comes along. If only BeOS had come along even 5 years later.

Collapse -
MATLAB Application
by ah_javadi / November 3, 2008 1:25 PM PST
In reply to: Both

Oh, very many thanks for your prompt reply. Actually the only application which I concern is MATLAB from MathWorks Co. As I run the application in my quad core machine, it seems that it just uses one of the cores. I think there would be no way to make it better. huh?

Collapse -
Not really
by Jimmy Greystone / November 3, 2008 2:02 PM PST
In reply to: MATLAB Application

Not really, no. Unless MathWorks makes future versions multi-threaded, the best you can do is shunt it to a particular core, which isn't be used. It won't likely give you much in the way of added performance, but it might make your system feel more responsive if you're doing some complex stuff with it.

Collapse -
Which CPU?
by ah_javadi / November 3, 2008 2:10 PM PST
In reply to: Not really

Good. So I should change the working cpu manually to the one which is not that busy. Currently my machine has 4 cores, and in Windows XP it is shown as 8 CPUs. What does that mean? and which combination of CPUs I had better use? for example 1, 3, 5, 7 or 1, 2, 3, 4 if I want to select 4 CPUs. I have 8 check boxes regarding each recogized CPU. And as I know I should do it through "Set Affinity ..." option in "Processes" tab in "Task Manager" window. Is it the correct place to do?

Thanks again for your attention.

Collapse -
If XP is showing
by Jimmy Greystone / November 3, 2008 11:26 PM PST
In reply to: Which CPU?

If XP is showing 8 processors then you must have a 2xquad core setup. Just pick any one that the task manager shows as being largely idle. All programs will tend to default to the first core on the first CPU unless you go in and manually change that. And unfortunately, the change won't stick, you have to shunt it to another core/CPU manually every time you run the program.

Collapse -
Thanks
by ah_javadi / November 4, 2008 3:28 AM PST
In reply to: If XP is showing

Very many thanks, Happy

Collapse -
Haiku
by arpheztwig / July 3, 2009 6:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

digging up old threads...

just found this interesting, I think people should be way more excited about this OS than they are. seriously, why isn't every single person who has ever used a search enine or, for that matter, ever sat in front of a computer and tried to wrap their brains around an unfamiliar OS talking about this?

Collapse -
forgot the important bits about HAIKU
by arpheztwig / July 3, 2009 6:07 PM PDT
In reply to: Haiku

<embed id="VideoPlayback" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=236331448076587879&hl=en&fs=true" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true"

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=236331448076587879

or just search google video/youtube for "haiku: the operating system"

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

Does BMW or Volvo do it best?

Pint-size luxury and funky style

Shopping for a new car this weekend? See how the BMW X2 stacks up against the Volvo XC40 in our side-by-side comparison.