Attention: The forums will be placed on read only mode this Saturday (Oct. 20, 2018)

During this outage (6:30 AM to 8 PM PDT) the forums will be placed on read only mode. We apologize for this inconvenience. Click here to read details

Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

General discussion

MU & WU

by auggief / July 8, 2007 3:38 AM PDT

Install only if you want to take immediate advantage of the new Definitions or if you want to be current on Definitions. Do not install if you prefer the weekly Updates pushed thru the program's Updater, MU or WU.

Donna, is there a certain day of the week that auto updates happen?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MU & WU
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MU & WU
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Auggie, if you mean Defender, no
by roddy32 / July 8, 2007 3:48 AM PDT
In reply to: MU & WU

there is not a specific day that they are released through auto update, MU, WU or the program's updater. There are usually 2 a week through those channels and not just one like Microsoft says but nothing specific as to WHEN exactly. I get them through the program updater myself and I check that once every 2 days or so.

Collapse -
Defender
by auggief / July 8, 2007 3:52 AM PDT

When I check for updates in Windows Defender, it will say there are none even though you have reported them here and in CofU

Collapse -
Auggie, that may be true
by roddy32 / July 8, 2007 4:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Defender

when Donna posts them because she posts the daily ones. I do NOT post the daily ones myself ANYWHERE, here at CNET, CoU, Wilders, CastleCops or any of my other sites. I only post defender updates myself when I have already gotten them and scanned via the program updater. I scan before I post them to make sure there are no false positives. If your program is not showing an update after I post one then you either have a problem with your program or you already got them via automatic updates. I do not use auto update either myself.

Collapse -
Defender Update
by auggief / July 8, 2007 12:08 PM PDT

Update history shows last installation for Defender on 7-7-07 version 1.20.2734.4. I will wiat and see if I get the newer updates in a couple of days.
Defender just told me that there are no new updataes available but I know that there are. Might be something to do with my having Vista. Whatever, if I wait I should get defender updates automatically. Thanks to both of you for your help. Auggie

Collapse -
(NT) Those are the same defs I have Auggie :)
by roddy32 / July 8, 2007 12:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Defender Update
Collapse -
What you have is the latest from MU/WU
by Donna Buenaventura / July 8, 2007 12:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Defender Update
NEW Engine Version: 1.1.2704.0 and NEW Definition Version: 1.20.2734.4 was pushed today thru program's updater, MU or WU.

If you have the above engine version too then you are up-to-date using the MU/WU method Happy

>>>>>Defender just told me that there are no new updataes available but I know that there are. Might be something to do with my having Vista. Whatever, if I wait I should get defender updates automatically. Thanks to both of you for your help.

Same in my laptop that has Vista. No new update and it's correct since they released 2 updates already last week.

You're welcome. Glad we could help Happy
Collapse -
Auggie
by Donna Buenaventura / July 8, 2007 6:20 AM PDT

Microsoft release definitions for Windows Defender in two ways now:
1. 2x per week via WU/MU/Program's updater - if you will visit WU or MU website. If you will check updates using Windows Defender Program's updater. They release it twice a week. No definite day though but it is often twice a week.
Example: They released defs update thru Program's updater, WU/MU:
June 27
July 2
July 4
July 6
That's twice a week thru WU/MU/Program's Updater.

2. Daily update (manual installation by user) - the daily update is not released by MS thru MU/WU but a manual download using any links below:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/923159/
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/
If they release Daily updates, I post it with notes that it is a manual/daily update. So if you see the notes that it is available thru manual installation.. it means it is not the update that is pushed thru MU/WU or program's updater.

The daily/manual update is for users who has problem in getting the updates using WU/MU or want to install it while offline instead of calling MU/WU for defs updates only.

But if user want latest released thru MU/WU or program's updater, just get the 2x weekly that is pushed by MS instead of manually downloading the daily updates.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Microsoft Newsgroup for definitions
by Donna Buenaventura / July 8, 2007 6:30 AM PDT
Microsoft Spyware signatures newsgroup.

In the above newsgroup, Engel always post also the Windows Defender definitions that is released by MS thru MU/WU/Program's updater. My posts in the above newsgroup are the "daily/manual".

I follow both though.
In my laptop, I use AU to notify me if there's update for Windows Defender which is twice per week.

In my desktop, I download and install the "daily/manual" updates which is everday.

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!