Video Cameras forum

General discussion

MTS file conversion...

How do I convert an MTS file to an wmv or mpeg?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: MTS file conversion...
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: MTS file conversion...
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re: converting

In reply to: MTS file conversion...

Collapse -
thx Kees

In reply to: Re: converting

I've tried two other free softwares a few days ago but it didn't work. I'll try another one.

Collapse -
I have found that converting the MTS files

In reply to: thx Kees

are problematic. Suggest using computer hardware that exceeds the video editor's minimum requirements and using a video editing application that can deal with MTS files. Once those files are in the video editor and editing is done, the editor will have rendering and export functions to pretty much whatever you want as the video file final product.

Apple iMovie '08 or newer... or current versions of Final Cut.
or
Current versions of Sony Vegas or Adobe Premiere.

Collapse -
thx boya84

In reply to: I have found that converting the MTS files

I've managed to convert the file but the problem I'm facing now is how do you send it via free e-mail when it's still large file. The free e-mails have limitations unless you pay for the upgrade or post the file online such as facebook.

Collapse -
Email is generally

In reply to: thx boya84

not designed to transport large files - including "high quality" video. As you have found, high quality video that others can actually use generally means large file size. If you insist on emailing, then apply more compression - in a smaller window, the video will look just fine - make the video window larger and the effects of compression (discarding video data) will be apparent. This is similar to still image compression.

Vimeo.com lets you post the video with a password so access is limited to whomever you share that password with (and whomever *they* share the password with). Youtube has *some* privacy, but it is rather limited. With Facebook or MySpace and similar social networking sites, the "privacy" is also rather limited - I *think* you can only allow Friends to access videos and images if you set that option in the profile settings.

Another method is to use a file transfer site like YouSendIt.com. You upload the file to their site and you send a link and password to those you want to download the file. There are some file size limitations and different grades of service for different (larger) file sizes or amount of time the file can remain posted (or you can always re-upload)...

In my opinion, using email for large file transfer is like trying to send someone an automobile via FedEx, USPS, UPS, etc. You can do it in small pieces, but it was not designed to send one huge "thing".

Collapse -
thx boya84

In reply to: Email is generally

thx for the info.

Collapse -
try nero 8

In reply to: thx Kees

try nero 8 (i think thats the newest) its not free but should have a trial

Collapse -
thx chickenorfish

In reply to: try nero 8

i'll give it a try.

Collapse -
according to my experience

I have a JVC Everio HD300 (AVCHD) camcorder,i am annoyed with the MTS files, for they counldn't be edit on Adobe Premiere but now i found out a fastest and easiest way to solve it-just use a professional HD Video converter which can convert MTS/TOD/MOD to wmv, mov, mp4, avi, etc. without any problem.The software seems to do a decent job. I've had good results converting the .mts files to .mov, with the settings h.264, 1200, 1280*720, 25fps, aac. The files look good on my PC running Adobe Premiere, edit easily, and convert well to DVD format.
Download a demo version.
http://www.pavtube.com/mts-converter/

Collapse -
Best solution I want to offer you.

As far as I am concerned, Aunsoft MTS Converter is a best choice for those who want to convert AVCHD/MTS/M2TS files to other common formats. From my own experience using AVCHD Converters, Mac or Windows, I am sure that two elements should be taken into consideration: high effiency and security. Speaking frankly, my first impression of Aunsoft products is very memorable and wonderful. I believe that you guys will easily convert your MTS files to WMV or MPEG with this software I mentioned.

Best regards,
Alice

Collapse -
MTS Converter

Pavtube MTS Converter worked perfectly. I purchased a JVC Everio HD camcorder ?C the AZ HM300 model. It was only once I got it home that I realized that the output format was

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

GRAMMYS 2019

Here's Everything to Know About the 2019 Grammys

Find out how to watch the Grammy Awards if you don't have cable and more.