Computer Help forum

General discussion

msxml4-KB927978-enu

by frankietp / November 7, 2008 10:23 AM PST

I am new to these forums and this makes the third time I have posted this message. Hopefully, I have gotten it right this time !

I was moving a Word document and accidentally dropped it in a directory with the above file in it. Now I cannot access, copy, open or anything else to the document. This document contains important information and would be very hard to recreate.

I have tried booting up in safe mode and even tried booting with a non-system disk, but I still can't access this file. Is there any way I can gain access to this file again?

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: msxml4-KB927978-enu
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: msxml4-KB927978-enu
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Although This Is The Correct Forum...
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 7, 2008 11:48 AM PST
In reply to: msxml4-KB927978-enu

...there was a response to your other post.. Did you read it in regards to posting specific information?

http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7598_102-0.html?forumID=51&threadID=315470&messageID=2902499&tag=forums06;posts#2902499

Just a thought.. please try booting to safe mode, then use a command prompt and commands to copy the file to another location.. Once you're sure it's been copied correctly, then use the same command prompt to delete the problem file. If not from Safe Mode with commands, then try booting with the XP cd and use the Recovery Console to copy and paste the file to another location.

It appears like you have found a file named: "msxml4-KB927978-enu.log" file.. Generally, the directory//folder which contains that file is named something like: "C:\9e4afb9d014d8c71a4eeebcaf10499" or something similar with a log to alpha-numeric characters. (If it's not at the path above, please tell us.) It was created during the installation of a previous "Msxml 4" Windows Update with the KB number in the file.. I've never had problems deleting the .log file or the entire directory..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
msxml4-KB927978-enu
by frankietp / November 7, 2008 7:07 PM PST

Grif, the directory containing the file did have a numerical name, but I renamed it (which it let me do) in an attempt to "trick" it -- didn't work ! I also have tried deleting the log file but no luck there either.

I tried booting in safe mode but I still got the message that access is denied. I tried using the command prompt and an explorer window. I could not locate the Recovery program you are talking about on my Operating System reinstallation disk (the only one that came with my Dell computer). Where would I be able to locate this program?

Collapse -
It Depends on The Recovery Disc Type..
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 8, 2008 12:40 AM PST

Generally, Dell actually gives you an XP CD. If that's not the case, then you'll need an XP CD to run the Recovery Console.. Instructions for running the Recovery Console (see option 2) are in the link below:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314058

Hope this helps.

Grif

Collapse -
msxml4-KB927978-enu
by frankietp / November 9, 2008 7:23 AM PST

The disk that Dell sent with my system says "operating system already installed on your computer" Reinstallation CD only...

Anyway, seems I have just lost my file. Doesn't seem that Microsoft could be allowed to put something like this on your personal computer but then we are talking about Microsoft, the "big dogs" of the computer industry. May buy a mac....

Thanks for your help anyway.

Collapse -
So What Happens When....
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / November 9, 2008 8:24 AM PST

..you place the disc in the DVD/CD drive, then restart the computer? Do you see options to reformat and reinstall? If it's not the right disc, you simply need to remove it from the drive. You won't know until you try..

Hope this helps.

Grif

Popular Forums

icon
Computer Newbies 10,686 discussions
icon
Computer Help 54,365 discussions
icon
Laptops 21,181 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 16,313 discussions
icon
Phones 17,137 discussions
icon
Security 31,287 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 22,101 discussions
icon
Windows 7 8,164 discussions
icon
Windows 10 2,657 discussions

FALL TV PREMIERES

Your favorite shows are back!

Don’t miss your dramas, sitcoms and reality shows. Find out when and where they’re airing!